1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a 31" pickeral repro

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JerseyJays, Jul 16, 2018.

1. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I'm searching for a 31" chain pickeral reproduction.
    I usually use lake country and they dont have one.
    They said I could get away with a pike repro and paint it like a pickeral. I do see some very small differences between the 2 species but probably would be fine...so a 31" pike would be an option at worst case.

I checked lake country and starfish, and new wave..neither have what I need. Can you reccomend another company that might have it? I'm looking for "ready to paint" and I'm looking for higher quality, not junk.

Thanks

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Many of the highest quality blank do NOT come RTP. If your not looking to put any work into it I’m guess the LCR northern blank would be your best bet

JerseyJays likes this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Have you checked with Warrens? (Or should I say Rinehart's now). You can get their blanks near ready to paint as well and they are nice. Don't know if they have one, but as you mentioned a pike blank will do the job too...

JerseyJays likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Though you're in the FISH category and these guys are anal about fish, I can tell you that the fin ray count or the opercula depth is NOT something your client is going to be looking for. After all, it's not his fish anyway. It's just easier to get a pike and paint the sucker.

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Wow, definitely a jumbo pickerel. Never seen a 31" pick before. What would that weigh? I would also say use a pike blank, unless your pickerel is too long and thin to compare to a northern. But one that size probably looks the same!

JerseyJays likes this.
  6. George

Jon is correct about the girth issue. Occasionally we catch them that size in the mill ponds around here. Usually go in the 5-6 pound category but they are long torpedoes, and not those tanks you get with the big northerns.

JerseyJays likes this.
  7. George

Chain Pickerel Paint Schedule.jpg

JerseyJays likes this.
  8. George

This is my schedule using Polytranspar. May be of no use to you but beginners may need it.

Step 1 Fungicidal sealer
    Step 2 Dark Bass Green
    Step 3 Bass Belly White
    Step 4 Cad Yellow/Silver Pearl (50/50)
    Step 5 Gold Sparkle (apply under direct light so you don't overdo it)
    Step 6 Scale Detail Green (Get in close. Don't paint "lines". They are series of tiny dots.
    Step 7 Shimmering Green (apply under direct light so you don't overdo it)
    Step 8 Shimmering Red
    Step 9 Gill Red (apply lightly just to give a hint of the blushing red. Make sure to get the jaw with tiny red spots)
    Step 10 Gloss

JerseyJays likes this.
  9. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input.
    I'll check reinhart Monday.
    31" 7lb 14oz was the weight.
    I never painted a pickeral.. looking forward to it!
    I did a smallmouth for the client last year. He was happy. My first smallmouth mount as well. (I dont do many fish)
    I enjoy painting them- I dont enjoy assembling them lol. I charge $35/inch and buy lake country replicas ready to paint blanks 99% of the time. I like their product.. so far best I've seen. Always looking for better tho.
    FB_IMG_1500433548527.jpg

10. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Wow, a near 8 lb pickerel! Keep us posted on how that one goes.

11. 35 per inch you should be advertising for alot of them.