1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice Needed on Mounting Lamb

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Lhunen, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Lhunen

Lhunen New Member

I am somewhat new to taxidermy, and I need some advice on a lamb mount. I’m wanting to do a head mount for a soft mount. I know they are not commonly accepted, but I want to try it out.
    I am aware that there aren’t any available premade forms, so I’ve got a predicament. I do not have access to the carcass, as I ordered the lamb online from PLT, so no casting.
    I know some people have used a fawn form for lambs/goat kids, but it seems like a fawn form might need so many alterations to fit this particular lamb. I haven’t altered a form previously other than a bit of sanding and minimal trimming, nowhere near the amount I feel this might need, so I don’t know exactly how to go about it. There’s also the fact that there are no commercial forms for a fawn head, just half mounts and full mounts (which is just me whining because that means I’d have to chop a perfectly good form in half).
    I don’t have measurements as the lamb is currently in my freezer and I am not home, but I know it was tiny, the whole head looked like it was about 4-5 inches from nose to behind the ears.
    Any and all helpful advice is welcome! Thanks!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well you are right, many of us don't care for soft mounts myself included but, I'll help anyway. Measure the eye to nose without stretching it too much and order a fawn form that matches that as close as possible. Here is another hint, ask them to only pour the head part and charge you just for that, the worst they can say is no.

Lhunen likes this.

3. Lhunen

Lhunen New Member

Thanks! I wasn’t aware any company did that, but I’ll give it a try

4. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

You can try asking for the head only from the Mouflon lamb.
    My daughter used that for a lamb recently.
    28660532_10209344643013612_7940876452739688839_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

Lhunen and Chippers like this.