1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do I need to turn bobcat ears for tanning?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bobcat_, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Bobcat_

Bobcat_ New Member

I skinned my first bobcat, and I still don't know if I want it to just be a wall hanger or try to mount it, but do I need to turn the ears so they tan? they're just so thin I don't see how I could possibly turn the ears without cutting huge gashes into it. Is it possible to just leave them un-split/turned and tan them like that?

2. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Well you wrote "or try to mount it" so you should prepare it properly in case you go that route. They aren't that hard to split and I've found doing it manually is best. Just use a sharp scalpel blade and put pressure on the seem as you go. Use the round handle of a screwdriver or something like that, and stick it in the ear and put downward pressure to expose the seem. They aren't big so they won't take you that long. Good luck

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I open them a little with a scalpel, sprinkle a little borax on them, then insert my thumb and pull the skin toward me, forcing my thumb almost to the tip of the ear. I can open one in a few seconds. As tomdes said, you can then invert the ear over something and continue to open to the edges. It just takes practice. You will have a blowout occasionally.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I turn the ears on squirrels, rabbits and rats. Not a big deal. Bobcats are no harder to turn than a deer and in most cases much easier.

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Keep both thumbs close together as you proceed into the ear. Go slow and just a little at a time. Thats how I do deer and should work for bobcat.

6. Bobcat_

Bobcat_ New Member

thanks everyone! i turned the ears this morning! :)

7. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

Yes you want to turn the ears but leave the cartledge in when you send it to the tannery if you take the cartledge out chances are the ears will blow out during tanning when you get it back yes mount the bobcat they have a lot of stretch in the skin and make all you relife cuts in the form where the skin will tuck in go on you tube and put in how to skin out ears and remove the cartledge its not difficult to do just be very careful take the ear and fold it in half and take a sharp scalple and cut very lightly on the ear until you can see the inner ear skin and then peel off the cartledge very slowly and thats it we all had to do it our selfs.

8. When it comes to skinning & prepping I take on the mindset that, every critter should get skinned out and split, turned and thinned as if it were going to be mounted. As a trapper I send fur to the NAFA and even then I turn ears!