1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I get sooooo tired of this crap...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by joeym, Jul 25, 2018.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Could have been ran over with a bush hog and done less damage! B59017FE-8A01-4071-9ECE-CA4FEE877AB6.jpeg

2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

Better than some who live by the rule of "Ya gotta cut it's throat to get the blood out" then the after thought of "heck yeah I'm gonna mount it". Don't these folks understand what a deer with a hole in it dies from . . . Blood loss I believe. You'd think that bright red trail you follow to find'm would be a clue. On a serious note I charge an hourly rate to fix stuff like that about $25 an hour 2 hour min. anything more than a Bullet/Broadhead hole.

3. I got a 100 dollar bill that says when they brought that in they said
    " I left you plenty to work with ! ''

Yea maybe but is in all in one piece ?

BrookeSFD16 and rogerswildlife like this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Antlers sawed off and cape tossed. I'll use a little dinky 17" cape from the freezer, but, I've got to split the left ear...he really wanted that to showcase that. I just wonder what the heck people are thinking when they skin these things. I see it over and over. Anything 19" or better gets the privilege of buying an extra cape!

5. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yeah I see it all the time too that should be the first thing you learn when you start hunting is how to skin one at least I did i get them all cut up with leaves and rocks in them just makes you wonder how they do all of that i have had guys bring the hole deer because they don't know how are don't want to get blood on them I'm not a processor so I just charge more for stuff like that oh and when they bring a fox or bobcat in that's been gutted just don't make a lot of sence to me

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  6. They usually tell me "it was on a hill side, snowing and starting to get dark, and they let their 10 year old nephew do one side". As George says "Stupid should hurt" cost of new cape $100.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

They skin that with an alligator?

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep that one would be a replacement cape, for a shoulder mount or, a euro.
    I have one yet to mount that was cut up to the throat patch, the guy insisted on using his cape, even though it will cost him more than a replacement cape. He agreed to it. I have already sewed it up and it should look fine, when it is mounted. I just have yet to mount it up.
    I may have posted this story before but, I had a guy bring in half of his deer frozen, wrapped in plastic. He was worried about messing up skinning it he told me. I said once it thaws and I can look at it, I'm sure it will be fine. Not, once I could unroll it I saw that when he cut it in half with an electric chain saw, he also cut the front legs off, at the shoulder blade with the chain saw. That was a new cape, he was embarrassed as hell and begged me not to tell anyone about it or at least not tell who it was.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    rogerswildlife, dale65 and Megan :) like this.
  9. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Replacement cape ; Don`t play with stuff like that any more .

TIMBUCK likes this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

For me, repairs were $75 an hour, two hour minimum, or $200 for a new cape. New cape was guaranteed top quality finished mount. If I repaired it, I said that I would do my best to make it look as good as could, but, no guarantees. I never had a complaint on the finished mounts for either.

11. sponder

sponder Member

I took in 2 from the same man last year, exactly like that! I too am tired of that crap!!!

12. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I would not even stress over that and the money is just not worth the hassle..

Only 3 possible options here and "fixing" it ain't one:
    1. Euro
    2. New Cape(they buy)
    3. They come pick it up as is..

13. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I had one brought in that they cut off
    With a chain saw. They didn’t find the deer during archery season until the
    Next day and the meat wasn’t salvageable so they took s chain saw to it.