1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Starting out on fish

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Chaz champion, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Chaz champion

Chaz champion New Member

i have mounted a couple of deer but I am now starting to try and mount a fish and I have the concept but have a few probably dumb questions but when mounting a bass do you try to get all the bones off the breast plate and in the top of the head?

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I do. I try to cut the spine out as far forward as I can and go into the brain cavity from there.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Plan to go to a fish seminar that includes skinning. You can get videos, but seeing first hand and being able to ask questions is a premium learning experience! That being said, I remove everything possible on bass, leaving the throat and gills. On saltwater fish, I remove everything.

4. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

The breast plate can be tricky because the skin is thin and the bones are very tight to it. It is easier to clean if you detach it at the gill covers and then pin in place during the mounting process, then use modeling compound to finish after fish is dry. Also be sure you cut far enough into the head to remove the brain material which will come out as a liquid.

5. Chaz champion

Chaz champion New Member

I have practiced skinning a couple of fish the head I can handle pretty good it just seems like all the bone ain’t coming out but I get all the way to the brain the breast plate is what gives me the most for it has been the most aggravating part on the fish to me do y’all cut along the back side right next to the gills