1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competing with "store bought" plants

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by fish stuffer, Jul 27, 2018.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

If someone does an excellent job on a mount, say, a bass for example, everything is blue ribbon perfect, can the habitat being of poor quality hurt the final score? I'm talking about pads, leaves, flowers, do they have to be exact, just like in nature? I see alot of really nice mounts and the plants look like ordered from Mckenzie and added to the mount.

2. Alot of competition s say if bases and habitat has a bearing on the score ,most times they do not ,unless you cover your work up with it.

BrookeSFD16 and fish stuffer like this.

3. I don't think the judges are examining if the plants are an exact match to native species or perfectly accurate plants, unless it's something really obvious. If you wanted them perfect, you'd have to make your own copying references. Some people do a better or worse job arranging the "store bought" plants and the plants themselves vary in quality so much! I like a nice habitat but I'm not a judge, lol. And I'd love to make my own fake plants but who has time for that?

Chippers and fish stuffer like this.
  4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I believe the habitat should complement the fish mount, but the judge should only judge the fish.

Steven Klee and rogerswildlife like this.
  5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Exactly what JL said . It's best to keep it simple,natural looking and make it flow from my experience.
    Tommy

6. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Just judging the subject sounds all good and well until there is serious competition in the room.... It works in most cases at the professional level, and in some state shows. But at the higher levels, Master divisions at certain state shows, Regionals, Nationals and the World level it simple doesn't get it done. If there are two or more first place mounts ( and there usually is ) within a point or so of each other, or even tied in some cases, best of category or best of show will come down to the habitat or "display" to settle the difference. Those who do as much "original" art as they possibly can "accurately" in the total piece have a better chance of winning. As they should.. Half measures are measured as such when along side full measures.... I say "compete like you mean it"!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 3:38 PM