1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Value of a dehumidifier

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Jul 27, 2018.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

B2577996-4A64-45AD-B763-B5F52CB93086.jpeg 7D507BFF-E26B-4ECF-9864-52E3A6CF9CD5.jpeg Often there are threads about airbrush and paint issues here. The one point that cannot be overstated is the value of keeping moisture out of an airbrush system. Here I collect 12 pints of water daily from the air in my air supply room. I don’t want all the atmospheric moisture in my supply tank and lines. Occasionally, I drain my air tank, and have less than a quart of water in it due to allowing it to inhale relatively dry air. Water in an airbrush, especially when using lacquer paints in a big no- no. I think a dehumidifier is a must in my shop

swampfox2, msestak and Bucknut like this.
  2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Keeping the humidity low enough in the summer via a dehumidifier seems like a stretch. A/C will do the same thing to some extent. They make an automatic petcock drain that mounts on the bottom of the tank. You can set it for how often you want it to drain. A friend runs a lot of air tools and has one and his drains every hour. You just pipe your drain tube outside. These run a couple hundred dollars.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Free water. Bottle that and sell it.
    Recently they unearthed an ancient sarcophagus in Egypt. There were skeletons and a reddish liquid in it. People have signed up by the thousands to be able to drink that crap. People are insane. You could lace your water with ground up pecker bones and sell it as a wonky hardner.

4. joeym

The AC is kicking out water also, I just don't measure it. Internal humidity in my paint room is 50-70%...outside, its 85-95%! This de-humidifier doesn't have an external drain...I wish it did.

swampfox2 likes this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I just bought one a couple weeks ago to dry a bear hide! Payed about $250 bucks for it just to dry this one stupid bear! It is so ^%$ humid here that bears will simply not dry! I got in a second bear from Canada that was already salted and mostly dry! In 24 hours it was as wet as if it had been just skinned! I put both in one of my walk in freezers that we are not using and the dehumidifier pulled the humidity down to 30% in a couple hours! Two weeks and the ^%$ bear is still not dry but it would have been spoiled other wise! I am done with bears....no more....never again....but I think this would be a great set up to dry fish!

JL likes this.
  6. joeym

Darn...I can dry a bear in a few days!

7. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

In Victoria Texas, near the Gulf, I set up a dry room with the dehumidifier. Works fine for salted hides. Keep temperature about 70 degrees and run dehumidifier non-stop. Have a fan also to keep air moving.

8. johny5

johny5 New Member

Maintaining clean and humidity-free interior space is essential and this can be better achieved using a dehumidifier. You can have better moisture control with the use of the best dehumidifier available in the market.

9. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't have a drain as well.

10. 15pt

15pt Active Member

I run 2 in my shop. Keeps it around 30%. My fish dry twice as fast as before I didn't run these.

joeym likes this.
  11. joeym

I can have a fish ready to paint in 24-48 hours using a fan and a dehumidifier. Those panfish that I use fish filler used to take forever...mold everywhere! Now, they are brick hard and dry in a couple of days.

12. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Of course you know your D Hum better then me but by the looks of your tank/water catcher that your pouring out , it looks like mine , and there is a place to attach an external hose on mine . So I’m surprised yours dont . But anyway , this is the reason I have a heat pump for my A/C and heat , a good insulated shop helps also .

joeym likes this.
  13. DTS 1046

DTS 1046 Member

You can attach a drain spigot to the lower side, and attach a hose to run to floor drain, or into a pump system to drain water out of your D Hum.

14. joeym

One of my dehumidifiers has a drain, the other doesn't. I just empty in into the cats watering bowl every couple of days.

15. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Both of mine have external drains and pump out when full.

joeym likes this.
  16. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Its so dry here most of the time our skins will be cardboard before we can get them sewn up. Wet towels everywhere to keep them hydrated

Kerby Ross likes this.
  17. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

In Arizona the humidity is mostly in the teens. Except during the monsoon season and when storms come rolling through during the winter. Like Jerry said, we have to keep things from drying out before we are finished working on them. I could easily start skinning a fish on Monday, have it mounted on Tuesday and dried to paint on Friday.

Our humidity today is going to be 12%

:)

Kerby...

18. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Same here. I mounted a deer yesterday. I had to be spraying it every few minutes. Finished at 4. Went out at 6 and made final eye adjustments. The eye lids were almost completely dry.

19. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I am a firm believer in a dehumidifier and moisture traps for air brushing down here in the south. I learned the hard way about that.