1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Value of a dehumidifier

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Jul 27, 2018.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

B2577996-4A64-45AD-B763-B5F52CB93086.jpeg 7D507BFF-E26B-4ECF-9864-52E3A6CF9CD5.jpeg Often there are threads about airbrush and paint issues here. The one point that cannot be overstated is the value of keeping moisture out of an airbrush system. Here I collect 12 pints of water daily from the air in my air supply room. I don’t want all the atmospheric moisture in my supply tank and lines. Occasionally, I drain my air tank, and have less than a quart of water in it due to allowing it to inhale relatively dry air. Water in an airbrush, especially when using lacquer paints in a big no- no. I think a dehumidifier is a must in my shop

msestak and Bucknut like this.
  2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Keeping the humidity low enough in the summer via a dehumidifier seems like a stretch. A/C will do the same thing to some extent. They make an automatic petcock drain that mounts on the bottom of the tank. You can set it for how often you want it to drain. A friend runs a lot of air tools and has one and his drains every hour. You just pipe your drain tube outside. These run a couple hundred dollars.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Free water. Bottle that and sell it.
    Recently they unearthed an ancient sarcophagus in Egypt. There were skeletons and a reddish liquid in it. People have signed up by the thousands to be able to drink that crap. People are insane. You could lace your water with ground up pecker bones and sell it as a wonky hardner.

4. joeym

The AC is kicking out water also, I just don't measure it. Internal humidity in my paint room is 50-70%...outside, its 85-95%! This de-humidifier doesn't have an external drain...I wish it did.

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I just bought one a couple weeks ago to dry a bear hide! Payed about $250 bucks for it just to dry this one stupid bear! It is so ^%$ humid here that bears will simply not dry! I got in a second bear from Canada that was already salted and mostly dry! In 24 hours it was as wet as if it had been just skinned! I put both in one of my walk in freezers that we are not using and the dehumidifier pulled the humidity down to 30% in a couple hours! Two weeks and the ^%$ bear is still not dry but it would have been spoiled other wise! I am done with bears....no more....never again....but I think this would be a great set up to dry fish!

JL likes this.
  6. joeym

Darn...I can dry a bear in a few days!

7. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

In Victoria Texas, near the Gulf, I set up a dry room with the dehumidifier. Works fine for salted hides. Keep temperature about 70 degrees and run dehumidifier non-stop. Have a fan also to keep air moving.