1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting walleye skin preservation

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Num Num, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Num Num

Num Num New Member

hello everyone, I’ve caught a walleye and now I’d like to mount it. I watched the video by Bill Atkins on mounting a bass. I have the borax and water solution but can’t find and concentrated Lysol. Can I just use the borax and water to make a good mount, or should I use something else like Colman camp fuel and water or what? And also how long should I soak the skin for? Thanks.

I’m sure it has been beaten to death on here, but Id like to hear your opinions anyhow on what my options are.

2. snag

snag Member

I soak mine in 50% denatured alcohol and 50% water after skinning for a couple days or till I get around to mounting it. Could be several days. Then a couple hours before I mount it I rinse with cold water and soak the walleye in borax and water. Rinse off with cold water before mounting.

George likes this.

3. Num Num

Num Num New Member

Ok thank you for the reply, what is denatured alcohol? Would it be the same as Coleman camp fuel? Everywhere I live no stores know what denatured alcohol is?

4. snag

snag Member

Try looking at Wal-Mart, any hardware store, Bomgaars or a paint store. It come's in a quart or gallon can. I don't know if it's comparable to camp fuel. I use a 5 gal bucket, and 50-50 mixture with water, I'd buy a galloon of it so you have enough to cover your fish in the bucket. Then cover your bucket to keep out dirt and bugs. It will last a very long time for use on many fish. Keep in a place were the fumes won't bother you.

5. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

Breakthrough ran an EXCELLENT 5-part series of articles on skinning, mounting, painting, and finishing a walleye by World Champion Brian Noody:
    Part 1, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 120, pp42-49
    Part 2, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 121, pp50-56
    Part 3, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 122, pp62-70
    Part 4, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 123, pp50-60
    Final: Part 5, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 124, pp66-72
    These back issues are still available for $10.00 each plus shipping. To purchase them or to subscribe (one year/4 issues $36.00), call Anne at 800-783-7266.

Attached Files:

JL and Cecil like this.
  6. I soak mine overnight in acetone to degrease, then soak another night or more in borax/water, then a quick rinse before mounting.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

A borax solution is fine as long as you don't soak the skin too long. I put mine in the freezer if I'm not going to mount for 24 hours.

Bill Dishman likes this.
  8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I did an experiment as to how long a fish could stay in a fish solution. I had walleye last as long as 9 months, Bass went 5 months to shorts was northern pike that went 6 Weeks. All kept in cool temps. with a sealed cover. Most the fish after the time frame, had raised scales or the scales would also just fall out. Just crazy questioning how long could you keep fish skins in a solution.

9. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I've never used anything but borax and water and have never had any kind of issues. You don't need anything else.

lee grimes and Cecil like this.
  10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Borax CAN create issues. Especially if you use a hide paste under your fish. Any latex/acrylic hide paste is going to turn to clay INSTANTLY. The 50/50 denatured alcohol/water solution is all I used but I also found that using methanol as a substitute worked quite well.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George, I have never seen any issues with borax other than when I used a flooring glue, after it was suggested to me, it curdled as soon as I applied it to the skin. I soak all fish in borax solution and then soak and rinse well before mounting in plain water. Oh yeah I have no issues leaving them in the solution for sometimes a month or two or even more. Mounting one fish at a time from start to finish just doesn't make sense to me.

Cecil likes this.
  12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

George is correct. Soaking too long in borax can possibly lead to compatibility issues with your water based glues. I've seen the curdling happen a couple of times on Cold water species when I use to use the borax solution to preserve. If the curdling ever happens due to too much borax in the skin you can rinse off your water based glue, dry the skin and switch to a glue by the name of LePage (if my memory serves me correctly). Lepage does fine with heavily boraxed skins...

13. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I find doing a good rinse a plain water and pat dry works wells.

14. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    What kind of solution? ??