1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month in Fish Pictures "Year 11" August Edition 2018!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Month in Fish Pictures "Year 11" August Edition 2018!!!!!!!

A warm welcome from Seward Alaska on this months in fish pictures! Fun to visit Alaska and see so many fish and be inspired by the beauty of it all! A group of folks from the lower 48 joined some of the Alaska gang to attend a fish painting workshop! Lots of fin for to paint and create fish work!

A huge thanks to the countless contributors and to the many great folks who share in this great tradition that has been around for over a decade It is very true that we all begin somewhere and all the learning and work hard that goes in to the pursuit at being is what makes us the taxidermists we become

This tradition of the Month in Fish Pictures has always has been a spot on the taxidermy.net where folks can and do come to show their work without criticism and hard comments! So, let’s remember to always keep it that way. As the moderator of this section I do not get too involved with censorship not do I ever want too. So be respectful of all and remember we all have a long way to go and should be enjoying the processes!

The month of July was a great month for truly inspiring photos so let’s continue the contributions! Thanks to all the friends sharing their gifts and talents! I took some time during the day week to see all the great looking at some truly inspiring works of fish art!

Inspiration in what we share is part of the friendliness and positive observations of fans of fish work. This is a great place to start in upward in direction of inspiration other with your work regardless of your skill level as a fish taxidermist or fishcarver!

Be thankful for your gifts of great passion and talent as an artist! It is a blessing to me for our lives to be joined from time to time to share and learn from one another so thank you for your great taxidermy work and your lives continue to be blessed with inspiration!!!!

I want to say thank you for join me each month for each installment of the Month in Fish Pictures to share in your successes and accomplishments! I have seen first-hand the great strides so many have made with beautiful fish work! Good for you and congratulations on your hard work!!!!

I want to also thank all the great contributors who not only share their personal great talents and work but also rather give such positive inspiration to all of us!

From beginners to the best in the world we all join in every month in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more than great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another. No egos just friendly folks who appreciate the efforts of others!

I want to start the month of August with a pair of skin mounted pedal bass that Dave Shepack of Litchfield CT did his workshop!

Can’t wait to see your work this month! See you in September! Be safe and be kind to one another!

You're Friend

Rick Krane

Dave Shepack.jpg

Brian W, Taxi-lover, Cecil and 12 others like this.
  2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I'll stick with the bass theme...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cecil, FishArt, birddog1964 and 7 others like this.

3. Swissfish

Swissfish Active Member

Skin mount of a Bullhead (Cottus gobio) using the real head and fins. The size of the fish is 8 cm / 3.2 inches. This is not my latest work, but still something I'm happy to show.... Enjoy the summer and much success to everybody! WMGroppe_©.jpg

JE, Taxi-lover, FishArt and 12 others like this.
  4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Awesome fish as always Jimmy and Swissfish! I'll keep the largemouth going also with one of Kenneth Bouman's blanks . 20180213_203558.jpg

JE, Cecil, FishArt and 14 others like this.
  5. Jimmy Lawrence

Goodness that's nice!

rogerswildlife likes this.
  6. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

First Yelloweye for me...
    DSC_0028 (2).JPG DSC_0022 (2).JPG

JE, Lance.G, Cecil and 8 others like this.
  7. Swissfish

Swissfish Active Member

Thank you Tommy Rodgers! I like your bass, clean and lifelike coloration!

rogerswildlife likes this.
  8. Rick, just remember out run Jeremiah if there is a bear.

Cecil likes this.
  9. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Thank you Jimmy and Swissfish !
    Tommy

Swissfish likes this.
  10. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

DSC_0011 (2).JPG DSC_0014 (2).JPG DSC_0011 (3).JPG

Brian W, JE, nate and 12 others like this.
  11. I love that Musky

AnglingArtisan likes this.
  12. Jimmy Lawrence

Gosh dang that Muskie is CLEEEAAAAAAAAAN....

Here is a HUGE Lake Trout Replica from Dave @ Envision3d Replicas... 2nd Lake Trout I've ever done.

[​IMG]
    Head Details
    [​IMG]
    Belly...
    [​IMG]

13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

LakerRep2RED.jpg lakerRepcloseupRED.jpg LakerRepRED.jpg Nice Jimmy! Ironically, I too have used that blank for a Lake Michigan fish and it is also the second lake trout (replica) I've done! Made into a pedestal. Getting ready to gloss. I don't like my eye sets now that I look at it. Too far forward, not down enough and not set at the right angle... Sigh...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. Jimmy Lawrence

How'd you get by with not painting any spots on the fins? There's like 10,000,000 of them on each one. I liked the blank . There's not much for Lake Trout out there, that's for certain.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Jimmy is it possible some strains don't have all those spots on the fins? I think I did an Alaskan that didn't.

Sotired likes this.
  16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Rick are those the ones I saw unfinished someone was going to come back and finish? I can't remember the name but could be the same guy.

17. Jimmy Lawrence

could be.... my fish wasn't that strain unfortunately.... it was the "lottaspot" strain. I never catch lucky breaks like that.

Cecil likes this.
  18. FishArt

Jimmy/Cecil - yes a lot of Lake Michigan Lake Trout do not display any spots on the fins nor tail. Their colors in general are very washed out and are usually very "silvery". This one has some faint spots not picked up by the camera going into the tail and the spiny dorsal but that was it. And they ended very quickly. I just went by my customer's freshly caught pics. (He released it and it probably died from coming up from a 100' - lol). Yes, I got lucky!

Sotired likes this.
  19. Jimmy Lawrence

weird.... most of the Lake Michigan Lakers I see have tons of spots on the fins. that's cool though.

FishArt likes this.
  20. FishArt

Jimmy, it actually wasn't that uncommon to not see spots on the fins. But it always seems to be with the really big, fat Lake Trout. My buddy caught a 25.05#er many years back (and took 2nd in the Salmonarama) and it was the same way. No distinct spots. I did a 32# original skin LM Laker many years ago and it had zippo on all the fins except the dorsal and tail - it had quite a few spots there. They vary obviously. You don't see too many of the really big ones anymore so that might be part of the reason why you haven't seen this coloration? It's been several decades where the LM Salmon and Trout fishery has not produced the abundance of big ones it did many years ago...