1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best way to remove the oil from a salmon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fallenscale, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    I am about to mount a salmon I hear a lot on this site how oily they are. Best way round remove as much oil as possible on a skin mount of course.

2. dbronco

dbronco Member

This is the method that works for me. Remove the fins and head and cast new ones. Flesh the skin as best as possible. I sprinkle salt on the skin/flesh as I go. Then wash briefly with Dawn dish soap and cool water, removing as much oil as possible. Lay the skin flat and coat both sides with a layer of salt and dry completely (recoat salt as necessary). I let the skin sit in front of a fan until dry. Then I rehydrate in a degreaser bath (I use Pro-1 degreaser) and mount like normal. I have kept dried fish skins for weeks at a time between fleshing and mounting; just don't try to bend it when it's dry!

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I soak my trout and salmon fish including lake trout in mineral spirits before a borax soak and it hasn't let me down yet. For large trout and salmon overnight. For smaller and thinner skinned, and chromish summer fish salmonids only a few hours.

I also use the original fins except large lake trout. All cast heads though.

Different ways to do this as is evidenced by dbronco.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Thank you dbronco and Ceccil.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Oh my a thank you! You don't always see that here!

Sotired likes this.
  6. JUST FISH

JUST FISH New Member

If your afraid you didn't get all the grease out a coat of Miracle Seal from Dixieland Taxidermy supply is a great product. It does exactly what the name implies. Makes it so no grease can come out. http://dixielandtaxidermysupply.com

Sotired likes this.
  7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Pro 1 degreaser and pro 1 fish tan. Boom done

silverwings and Jkostella like this.
  8. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

I bought those and I always second guess myself....what's the steps for this? Seperate or together?

Mudbat likes this.
  9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

16BEC8A7-32EB-4378-9229-ACCE44D8260C.jpeg

silverwings likes this.
  10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Personally removing all major areas of grease and oils are for most important and the use of either buying or casting these parts, head and all fins.
    From there my skins are utmost so clean that I leave nothing on.
    I will soak the skin in cool to slightly warm water ( careful for to warm your skin will shrink or fall apart) with the use of tide for my simple degreaser. Soak in this for an hour or two, then in my zinc solution. In the mean time I’ll be casting the head and I might already have fin molds and cast them, afterwards carve the body.
    Then I’ll rinse the skin and mount.

silverwings, Jkostella and JL like this.
  11. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    zink sulfate then Phenol