1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Introduction

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Calico, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Calico

Calico New Member

Apologises in advance if this is under the wrong category.

Hello! I am Calico - an aspiring zoologist with a fascination for animals and their anatomy, behaviour, and well, anything animal related, really.

Being an animal lover, it may come off as a little strange that I am here, with all of these specimens; I am interested in collecting skulls, primarily for study, but also the entire concept of memorialising the animals that they originated from through preservation and, in addition, the stories behind them. It's all very interesting to me.

I look forward to meeting the community~!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's not strange at all. I see them as a form of artwork and a record of the life of the previous owner as it were. Older skulls with damage and healed injuries all tell a story of a life. I also have an interest in comparative zoology and a degree in Marine Biology. There are many interesting people here.

3. Calico

Calico New Member

Ah- thank you, it's nice to see somebody with similar interests to my own in the community.

I currently own multiple dried insects that I plan to eventually encase and preserve as jewellery (they're beetles, I breed 'em for mealworms for my gecko) in the future; I've heard that resin is ideal for jewellery insect preservation but I don't trust myself enough to risk working with the stuff.

As for skulls: I do not own any yet, but I have been on the lookout.

4. Sea Wolf

The Sale section is a good source for raw material. You will have to learn to clean your own if you do not already. Occasionally, finished skulls show up but not often. I do not know where you live but check your laws in your state to make sure that having something shipped to you isn't illegal.

2 part resin isn't bad to work with but it is a bit tricky to get rid of bubbles, keep them from forming to begin with and to make sure your measurements are right to get a proper cure.

5. Calico

Calico New Member

My apologises for the terribly late response.

I am British and, from what I have figured, it is illegal to purchase dead online, or at least a licence is required (I could be mistaken, though), I am here mostly for the community/to learn. I plan on revising the laws and regulations regarding it before purchasing from anywhere regardless.

Maybe I'll give two piece resin a go someday, then - it could be interesting, even just for the experience.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Welcome aboard! There is a wealth of information shared here.

7. Sea Wolf

Yes, the UK is a different world. You can get local specimens from hunters and possibly veterinarian offices. Find exterminators that deal with mammals and you may find another local source. Put up notices on bulletin boards and maybe advertise in a local paper.