1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pouring Bird bodies

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by El Pato Loco, Aug 12, 2018.

1. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco New Member

I started making my own heads a few years ago.
    Anyone have any information on how to get started making my own foam bodies?
    I make all my own goose decoy stuffers and buying the foam bodies is getting too expensive. My cheap source has dried up. Id like to learn how to make a mould and pour my own.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Trace the next one you skin and carve a body and then make a mold of it or make a mold of the next one you skin and you are off.

Irina, magicmick and BrookeSFD16 like this.

3. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco New Member

What do guys make molds out of?
    Wherere to get and what kind of polyurethane to use for the bodies?

I use silicone or RTV to make molds for my heads and Smooth Cast 300 for my heads.

Not sure about supplies for these bodies. I can carve a body out of foam....not sure how to make a mold and cast it with polyurethane

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

There is a ton in information and photos in Breakthrough magazines on making bodies. Be prepared to have both a time and money investment in them.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Bondo for a mold and 2 part foam for pouting a form

aussiesam likes this.
  6. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco New Member

I have to use something other than Bondo/Fiberglass resin. I am highly allergic to it. I can get a nose full and I'll break out in hives.

7. El Pato Loco

El Pato Loco New Member

I understand. I have a 16 foot box trailer full of stuffer decoys. Full. They have to be replaced quite often from normal wear and tear. I also mount a bit of waterfowl as a side job. Have had the permit for a few years. I will subscribe to that publication....I'm long overdue. Was just looking to hopefully get some sage advise on this process. Hopefully there is a viable alternative to the bondo/glass and someone will chime in.

8. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

You can use smooth cast as an alternative to Bondo . A flanged mold is better for foam, due to the pressure from expansion.

You can also buy foam, pour it in anything and then cut it up and carve your own.

I looked at pouring my own, carving my own bodies/heads, but decided just to up my prices and have the customer pay for my convienence of being able to use commercial products.

pir^2h and 3bears like this.
  9. crs

crs Member

N Tx
    Plaster of paris

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

buy some avian X decoys or GHG with flocked heads take a beating last longer than stuffers and by the time geese get close enough to tell the diffetence from a real goose they should be dead plus no mice bugs and mold in the off season and rain snow wont hurt em