1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Euro replica

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by GP1419, Aug 13, 2018.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Active Member

Had a customer bring me a rack that scores around 130, said he wants to do a euro mount, any suggestions on the best looking and easiest repo skull on the market, I looked at Mtn. Mike and the ones in the Mckenzie catalog, not sure if the slot or the one that you have to remove the antlers would be best, any suggestions, I do lots of euro's but this is the first fake one for me, thanks.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Have you considered finding a real skull that is close in size and swapping out the antlers? If they are on a plate, they could be epoxied into a real skull just as well as a fake one.

3. GP1419

GP1419 Active Member

Never crossed my mind, I guess I could hang them up and wait on season to open then take one of my skulls and use it , thanks sea wolf

4. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

marshell-with-an-e Pinchback Reproductions has one of the best I have seen. I sold Marshell a bull elk skull that had shed naturally that he was going to use as a model several years back. Great customer service too.

5. I save about 10 skulls that ive sawed the horns off and boil them out to use for this. Work better to me than a repro.

6. RockinR

RockinR Member

What are your base measurements? I have 3 whitetail skulls I am probably not going to finish the euro mounts and was going to cut the antlers off them. Message me if you want.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do the same thing. Here's how I handle them. On the bottom of the skull cap, I predrill 3 1/16" holes in a triangle. Then, three 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch drywall screws are inserted in them, trying not to come through the forehead. If they do, they will need to be ground off on the topside. I then mount the cleaned skull on a mounting stand, and tape off all holes in the brain cavity. Mix a good sized glob of bondo. Mix it hot. Insert bondo in brain cavity and then set antlers. They need to be held in place by hand til the bondo kicks, I then bevel the edges with a dremel and use Aves "Fix-It" to fill in the gaps. It is mostly white. Blend it up all the way to the antlers on the pedicles, and then feather it down on the skull so that no crease is shown. I use "Bass Belly White to tone it in and Superhide White if necessary to make final color adjustments. If you go with a reproduction skull, I agree that Pinchback has some of the best I've ever seen.