1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Might have found great solution for turkey feet color preservation

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AZ~Rich, Aug 13, 2018.

1. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Ok, this is not earth shaking but knowing how turkey feet seem to require some careful attention when painting or finishing, I experimented with what appears to be a great solution to permanently coloring them. It does not require any painting by airbrush, powders, etc., plus is very simple and leaves a nice accurate result. Yes, using the right color of an "alchohol-based" permanent ink marker (used in fine arts), gives great results without all the additional work and cleanup.

I found the right colors at Michael's for about $5-7 per marker. They go on leaving a permanent ink film like any permanent marker will and the alcohol vehicle allows the ink to rapidly seep between scales coloring the voids very naturally without adding opaque paint to any surfaces. The underlying pigments show through the ink's semi-transparency. The fine tips allow easy coloration of individual areas including the tiny round scales on toes.

The marker on the bottom appeared to be the best color for the Gould's feet pictured. It appears to keep the true color of the feet intact and is much simpler to use. I did see that the sheen after marker application was a little too much for my liking so I hit them with a quick spray of clear flat Krylon and that does the trick. I also found the red markers by Prismacolor work very well on restoring colors to pheasant wattles. If anyone else has used permanent markers on birds, please let me know how you felt they turned out for your mounts. I cant see going back to paints unless there is damage and sculpting work to consider.

If you do try this let us know how you find the results to be.
    IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1151feet.jpg

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

That is some great info! Thanks

3. Ive struggled with turkey feet from the first bird to my last . Never painted one that truly satisfied me, always just settled. Looking at those pics, im sure gonna try it.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

5. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Great idea. Thank you.

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Got mine coming off Amazon!!

bucksnort10 likes this.
  7. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Thanks, I feel pretty confident that this can be a viable alternative to the traditional way of treating legs/feet. I expect this method would be also useful for coloring legs and possibly beaks of pheasant and and other upland game birds. Of course it all depends on using appropriate marker colors (from fine art suppliers), over areas where some transparency of the color is desired. Unless you need to add some opacity underneath, this should work well right on the raw keratin. I like the ability to control very precisely where and how much marker ink you want to apply to a specific spot or feature, which differs from airbrushing. I noticed on freeze dried turkey heads, the alcohol marker inks are perfect for any touch up or subtle changes to the airbrushed areas. It readily absorbs into freeze dried tissues and you can control ink flow and intensity very simply.. For instance it is simple with these fine tip markers to enhance coloration just to the eyelids by just touching it and letting ink flow into the tissue. It also works with a black marker to hit the tiny hair-like head feathers and ear holes which get over sprayed with painted. I'd like to hear from Wildthings and others how it goes when you try them out.

Todd B, swampfox2 and Wildthings like this.
  8. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Great idea thanks!

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

there is always something to learn in this industry. great info

swampfox2 likes this.