1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Botched alligator mount

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by JimmyRustles, Aug 14, 2018.

1. JimmyRustles

JimmyRustles New Member

Hi all. 1st time poster with a question. Can a full sized alligator mount be redone? I got my 1st alligator last year & wanted a life sized mount. I actually drew the guy a labeled picture of how I wanted it done & it's effed up as a football bat. I wanted it mounted where i could hang it on the wall or set it on the floor but the way its posed; i cant do either. I've tried working with it but can't really do anything but lay it on the couch so the toes don't break. I initially tried to contact him to ask what color he used for the head that I wanted to go over. (There was over spray of the white for the inside of the mouth on top of its head) That was over 2 weeks ago and no word yet. I chose this guy by referral and he lives 7hrs away so I can't just swing by and talk to him. So anyway. Can it be redone? Should I hire a lawyer for something like this? IDK what to do honestly.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It's slightly possible it could be re-done, but, most taxidermists wouldn't touch it. There is a chance of losing scales bigtime upon re-hydration. Gators are aggravating enough the first go round...nobody wants a second go-round with them. Post a picture please.

Kerby Ross likes this.

3. JimmyRustles

JimmyRustles New Member

Sure. This is him. Not too bad and I was happy to get him back. I didnt notice much at 1st until i brought him home. Mainly those front feet... Plus there's no hanger like I requested. I'm pretty easy going & thought, "No problem. I'll just install one." I tried last night and there's nothing really for the 6" screws to grab. I guess it's just vermiculite. And I can't really hang him on the wall because of how the back feet are oriented. I'll post the pic I sent him on how I wanted it done next.

Attached Files:

4. JimmyRustles

JimmyRustles New Member

This was the actual pic I sent him. It was so I could put him on the wall or the floor depending on floor space.

Attached Files:

5. JimmyRustles

JimmyRustles New Member

I'm researching on trying to make an artificial log or something to attach him to and hang that. I could also possibly build something like in this pic but don't really have the floor space for that.still a lot more work than I want to do after paying someone over 2K. Plus I don't particularly care for that pose to much considering what I wanted to do.

Attached Files:

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I can't comment on what can be done with the mount itself but a wall habitat will solve your problems all together for the most part. It will llow you to hang it up and actually improve the looks of the mount. I'll post of a picture of one for a 1/2 bear I 'm working on. I know it will add cost but that is life.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    20180814_170332.jpg

JimmyRustles likes this.
  8. IMG_20140611_151928_705.jpg IMG_20140611_151907_725.jpg its an easy fix actually. Two sizes of square tubing one that will slide into another at least 3/4. and two pieces of flat iron one 2 inches x 8 inches and another roughly 8x8 inches. weld one piece of tubing to one flat iron the other tubing to the remaining piece. I like the smaller tubing attached to the gator, because its easier to slide that tubing into the bigger tubing thats on the wall. Cut a slot in the belly of the gator for the 2x8 flat iron. and foam it into place. the other flat iron/ tubing will be screwed to a piece of 3/4 plywood that will become the base. foam over the flat iron and cover with what ever you want dirt, rocks what ever. A heavy duty hanger goes on the plywood to hang it on the wall. The tubing piece at the belly needs bending as close to the belly as possible to get the desired angle you want. make sure it dont get bent where they are suppose to slide together are they wont. I usually drill through both tubing to insert a bolt so it cant slide apart when hung up. here is a pic of one i did just like i said. And another where you can see the base a little better.
    IMG_20140611_151907_725.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    JL and JimmyRustles like this.
  9. I have no idea why or how it loaded the same pic twice .

on a side note the way that gator is positioned its not going to look like its swimming, im not sure what you would call what you got other than humping the couch arm lol. On trying to change the gator mount like Joey said , DON'T. However that black a$$ paint it has throwed on its side that looks like tiger stripes. Needs to go !

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    JL and Kerby Ross like this.