1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody ever won awards using dry preserved deer mounts?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by fish stuffer, Aug 16, 2018.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

Also, can you win using a longer haired cape on deer?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes they have and yes you can.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Yes. More than you can ever imagine.

4. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Does anyone have any pictures of a DRY PRESERVED award winning deer? Also would love to see some close pictures of one that has been mounted for about 5 years.

5. BowDeadly

JUST WHAT I THOUGHT

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Sometimes, lack of response isn't always just what you thought.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No cigar Earl. Just look up the work of Don Stevens or perhaps you'd like Ben Mears (though he sprayed his on). Ron Carter did some years back and Al Holmes won with a baby Angora goat. Every bird that ever won anything was mounted with dry preservative. I know of several more but it's not my place to "out" anyone for their methods when their work looks so much better than mine.

8. BowDeadly

TANGLEWOOD. I guess just laziness then. You wood think if they were all that someone wood of posted, I would of.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The guys who have are either using their time more wisely and dont come here or they dont wsnt to listen to all the experts who'll accuse them of being hacks. Earl a few years back (less than 5) one won at the Nationals. I'm not about to provide you a name for the reasons above.

msestak likes this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The guys whose award winning DP mounts that I saw on here have not posted in a loooong time. Perhaps, there is no one on here now days who have won awards with DP mounts. I have seen some that won several years ago that I would put them up against anything out there in competition today. I have no idea what they look like today.

11. fish stuffer

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just want to learn.

12. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I won a first place in Masters and a Second in World at the World show in 1992 with a boar that had been mounted for 2 years with dry preservative. That was then and this is now. I wouldn't dream of wasting my time on a dry preserved mount any more. Just because you can doesn't mean you should! lol

Megan :) and Lance.G like this.
  13. I believe Jason carder in Maryland has also won some awards with dry preserve deer.

George likes this.
  14. BowDeadly

The reason why I ask and want to see is because ALL the DP mounted deer heads I have ever seen had cracks in the eye skin corners, most have seam separations etc. and some as soon as only months after mounted. I'm not saying it can't be done. My experiences in 30 years has shown me that DP is not the way to go, for me anyway.
    On the other hand after my first & last DP deer I tried a wipe-on-tan-crème. I took a skin/cape and mounted it by thinning the skin somewhat with a skiff knife & scalpel, brushed on some tanning crème, wrapped in a towel, refrigerated, then the next day I wiped off the excess crème, mounted it. Now 30 plus years later it still looks "OK" wouldn't win any awards but not bad for the way it was mounted and my second deer.
    I lent it to a X-FRIEND to hang in his new born sons room to get use to deer, what ever that was about. He returned it 2 years later with two ear tips broken. He didn't seem to think that was a problem. I have always said I would remount it but never have the time it seams.

15. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Ha! I KNEW that was coming! Please...by all means let someone stop what they're doing and take a bunch of pictures and upload them to taxinet just to satisfy someone's silly curiosity.

I don't compete but I do use dry preservative. I have a mount that has been in my attic for around 5 years exposed to extreme east Texas temps and humidity and guess what...no eye cracks, split nose, hair loss, busted seem, exploding neck, pink hair, rat's nest, termite colony, bee hive or any other cockamamie problems. What it DOES look like is someone's half baked attempt at mounting a deer head that deserves a place in the attic...but...it's STILL the way I left it. Thankfully my work has improved. Now, my boss has a huge south Texas deer hanging proudly in his office with a crack in the eye skin large enough to slip a nickel through. Dp'ed? Nope. It was tanned. I'm not saying that issues can't arise with mounts but to assume that only dp mounts experience these problems is just plain foolish. Many would love to lead folks to believe that just because some whistlebritches taxidermist tans, their deer has now become like the body of an incorruptible saint.

And by the way...I did once post close up pics of the "attic" deer on this site but they met their Waterloo with photobucket.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my dp'd bobcats and squirrels and my tanned ones all around 20 years old. I have never dp'd a deer, however, I have had the issues mentioned on two deer that I tried two different tans on. Both were submersible tans.

17. BowDeadly

NOT SILLY AT ALL, Just curious, I guess that is not allowed. I have seen quality taxidermy work (soft tanned) with cracked eyes also but that is not what I was asking about.

18. fish stuffer

Nothing silly about it. It's asking a question. If someone dont have the time or interest to reply or post, no problem.

There will always be differences in quality and prices in our profession. You tan, educate your self and try your best to give the cust a quality job and a price you can live with. Someone down the street cuts corners and prices. I would like to see the customers, the hunters get more educated. They don't know much about it at all. And if we as taxidermists cant agree on anything ourselves how can we expect hunters to learn?

There's only one reason to dry preserve a deer cape. It's easier , cheaper, and faster. I would even say that with some, it's the only way they can stay in buss. If they had to tan, they wouldn't make it. Forget about quality, work, profit, for a min., TIME is a factor. D.P. is a one step process. Thaw him at night, next morn., flesh and mount. With tanning so many steps, WORKING ON SEVERAL CAPES AT ONCE. Put 2 in salt, take two salted and put in pickle, check ph, take one out of pickle, shave, put back in pickle. Take two out of pickle, netralize, oil, shave. DAMMIT man, it's enough to make you want to jump out in front of a buss. Nothing got mounted OR finished today. The clown down the street got 2 put together. He "Powder Monkeyd" the hell out of them. His customers love what he's doing. I have never seen a taxidermist bragg about dry preserving his capes. If you tan , it should be a selling point. "Let Joe's taxidermy mount your buck", we dry preserve out deer, they'll last forever." Even people who do it seem to hide it. It's like they would like for their customers to think they are tanning them. It's like real wood vs. particle board. Every body knows wood is better, but it's only a china cabinet, particle board will do. It looks good. As long as it don't get wet it will be alright. I don't need real leather on my sofa, naugahide will do. It's only going to last a few years anyway and we will get another one. Everybody knows a tanned skin is better. But unless you can really up your prices it's just too much work for the money.That's just MHO. But with all that said, I'm thinking of going back to dp myself. Yes, I'm thinking of becomming a powder monkey.After all these years, struggling with it. If you could hook a log chain to my deer's hair and tie it to your tractor, pop the clutch and you couldn't pull the hair out. I'm just getting sick of all the pushing and shoving to get work. I'm thinking of doing like George, hanging it up. Everybody that comes to my shop knows 8 other taxidermists. Before I throw in the towel, I thought I'd try what my compeditors are doing. D.P. deer, the powder will dry up that meat. Like Dan Chase said, dont worry about that little bit you missed, it will tan it too! TANNING MEAT?, That's a new one on me. The guy accross town gets his ducks real smooth, because he isn't fleshing them enough. Borax will dry that up. No need to get all the meat out of that fishes head, sprinkle it with borax , it'll be just fine.

19. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

There are dry preserve posts on here? Lol.

It can be done and has been done a jillion times. I can't do it, but know plenty of guys who can.

20. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Wow! What a dissertation! You're right...there will always be differences in quality and prices just like pretty much every other industry. Problem is, some think just because they have the best factory tan money can buy that they've automatically provided their customer with "quality". Never mind the ears growing out the back of it's neck or eye lashes turned up so far you'd think your deer was gender confused.

You'd like to see hunters more educated? Educated by who? Taxidermists who peddle scare tactics about another's process just so they will end up with the work? I don't think so. I'll continue to inform hunters to the contrary of all the misinformation.

You're right...dry preserve is easier, faster and definitely cheaper. Time is money and I've always liked to make as much money with my time as possible. If I had to follow the process you've described, I probably wouldn't bother with taxidermy. Hats off to you guys who do it. You said the powder monkey "clown" (guess the dp automatically makes him a clown) down the street got two put together and is pleasing customers while you got nothing mounted or finished. Can I ask a question? Who is really the clown?

I don't agree that taxidermists who use dp try to hide it as you implied. I don't have one shy bone about it...neither on here or with customers. You wrote: "Everybody knows a tanned skin is better". Better at what? Digging a hole out in the back yard or hanging on the wall and being looked at? A dry preserved deer can look just as well and have just as much longevity as a tanned deer. FOR THE FIFTIETH TIME...It simply all depends on the taxidermist's skill and how the mount is cared for once it leaves our shop. NOT the method of preservation.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other which method someone uses. If you've used dry preservative but found tanning to be your thing...then by all means go for it. But...don't pretend my method will not work for me just because it didn't work for you.

Mike Powell and George like this.