1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody ever won awards using dry preserved deer mounts?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by fish stuffer, Aug 16, 2018.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Earl, it seems you haven't been keeping up with the industy. Some years back, a genius named Glen Conley invented a product called StopRot. If you apply it to a fleshed hide and the DP it, the traditional shrinking and cracking is eliminated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Mike Powell likes this.
  2. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

I stand corrected. I guess Sally, Rick, yox Dennis H, Meder, all these guys are idiots. Everybody that DP's, admits its the only way they can make money and stay in buss. Tanning is too much work. We could ALL RAISE PRICES if it werent for all these cheapos DP,ing and doing the cheap. One things for damn sure, the hunters dont know. If they did, some would go out of buss.

Jennifer Webb likes this.

3. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

The reason I started talking about DP id because I have alot around me doing it. I couldn't care less what ya'll do, 5 states away. I'm trying to learn something here. I keep hoping someone will say something that really would make me think it is ok. I have no problem with the cheap guys. If the hunter chooses him so be it. It's the ones who are charging the sky high prices and everyone thinks they are the best around, when the whole time they are mounting raw buckskin. The reason everyone thinks they are so great is not because of the quality, it's because daddy gave him a blank check to open his doors with. TV adds, billboards on interstate. What percent of taxidermists get to advertise on tv, back before FB and websites? Everone says he's the best. He's screwing every customer who walks thru his door. Go to most any flea mkt. or antique store and you'll see the deer with no nose. all cracked up.

4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Uhhhhh....okay. Well...just hang in there I guess.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fishstuffer, I guess you've already got it figured out. I don't know why you bothered to ask, HOWEVER, just as soon as your feet hit the floor and you're in business long enough, you're going to find that there's a helluva lot more taxidermists out there who're going to charge way more than you do and whose work may even be of less quality than yours. As we've pointed out, there's a lot of quality taxidermists who use dry preservative and if you think just bragging about tanning all of your work is such a novel approach, just wait till you get engulfed in the free market out there. Taxidermists are still the dumbest business people on the planet and if a single one EVER charged what their work was worth, deer heads would start at $1000. If you don't believe that, just walk into one of those fancy "home décor" businesses and price what they get for a friggin PLASTIC DEER HEAD.

6. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I stopped dry preserving over 25 years ago. Now everything is tanned. I wouldn't go back to DP. Like I said, just because you can does not mean that you should. Go read the archives about DP vs. Tan. You can read for months.

Paul B likes this.
  7. In my opinion, the method of preservation of a hide doesn't necessarily mean the work will suffer or look bad. It's all in the hands of the Taxidermist...I've used DP on Squirrels, Fish, Opossums, Birds etc...results achieved were based on my knowledge of anatomy and taxidermy techniques. I have had better luck with a DP on certain species than other types such as liquid or tannery

George and rogerswildlife like this.
  8. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I don't give a damn what someone down the road from me is doing and my advice to you is to do the same . I just worry about what I'm doing .
    Tommy

9. Best advice I've heard yet

rogerswildlife likes this.
  10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

A piece of advice I got from my boss in 1971 about the mechanic business.
    Don’t bad mouth others work to a customer. Let them figure that out.
    I remember him actually defending a competitor by saying maybe he just had a bad day.

11. Ok, Its been seems like 100 years since I dped any mammal. When I prep one for tan I normally get it pretty thin, run through the tannign and have some minor shaving to to do.

But with DP I am now confused. the dped hides have so much slop and flop. I dont think I am gettign them thin enough to dp. Yea thought I would go back to Dp on a few just to see.