1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

turkey body size

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Edward C Forest, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Edward C Forest

Edward C Forest New Member

What is the best way to determine the proper form size for a skinned turkey and no weight known?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The BEST way is to buy a small, medium and large and test fit.
    I have bought turkey forms that gave measurements and I couldn't get near those measurements when I measured the form. So, that can be unreliable. Also, weight is relative and not all 20 pound toms have the same measurements. I usually order the form on the low side of what they claim because a form that is a little smaller than you would like is much better than a form that is a little tighter than you would like.

An example is I kill a 19 pound turkey. I would order a form that is for a 15 to 17 pound tom or 16 to 20 pound tom which ever measurements that form might come in.
    You have no body weight or measurements, so buy a small, medium and large and one will fit.

Tom Maul likes this.

3. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I agree... flesh and wash that sucker, towel dry and test fit.
    A turkey needs ahelluvalotta room.
    You could make a large turkey look good on a medium mannikan, but you're gonna be hard pressed to make a medium turkey look even half assed good on a large mannikan...IMHO

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Ahellofalotta? That's funny...but true.

Test fit and make sure you have about 2" of slack.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't use the rule of thumb when sizing the skin to the mount.

I use the rule of fist.

I put the skin where I want it and if I can make fist between the mannikin breast and the breast skin and it's not tight, I'll go with that.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.