1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fads and Trends - Reinventing Taxidermy Presentation

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Aug 18, 2018.

1. For you young guys, if Joe ever gives his presentation on how animals walk. I suggest you go to it. You will learn something, something you have never thought about.

I don't always agree with Joe, it is personal I guess. But still he can teach you somethings.

George likes this.
  2. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Excellent video. What an accomplished individual. Mr Kish, hats off to you.
    Being from Pittsburgh, you can't be all bad. ;)

3. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Don't discredit what Joe says, I went from 2 silver medals and 2 bronze medals to 4 gold by arguing/discussing art with Joe.

Skywalker likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

One of my favorite pieces was bobcats and butterfly done by Henry Wichers Inchumuk (I think I spelled that right) simply because the focus of their eyes on the bettle was spot on. There is no way that you could not think that those eyes were looking into the "soul" of that beetle.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Carolin, I am not discrediting what Joe says, just disagreeing on the delivery. I believe that I am smart enough to see that Joe could teach me plenty, I just have a hard time learning from people that treat others as Joe tends to on here and in personal conversations.
    I agree that recreating an animal using it's skin does not fit the true definition given for art, but when we recreate a moment in time with that animal we should be afforded some artistic freedom, as long as we follow the parameters of anatomy of the animals and how they can and can't move. We also must remember that in nature many things are possible, even if we haven't seen it. Maybe I misread Joe's post, I get the impression that he was not a fan of many of the dynamic pieces with action in them.

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post joe , you accentuated my point. Childish name calling and belittling.
    John C , Joe will never give an educational presentation , he’s not capable of teaching anything without calling the audience stupid before during and after the lecture. Ever wonder why hes NEVER asked to do a seminar?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Very VERY interesting 3bears. Now do me a favor. Reread what you just wrote and explain how that doesnt apply to you? Dont be a hypocrite.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George, I reread what I wrote and nowhere did I talk down to or belittle anyone, I try to make a point to not treat anyone that way. Maybe you can show me a post where I did? If you find one it will not be in recent times. At one time it was possible but I am a work in progress and learning as I go through life. Treat others how you wish to be treated....

Kerby Ross likes this.
  9. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Thats nonsense 3bears. Do Unto Others, Then SPLIT! :)

George likes this.
  10. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    I’d like to make an observation which hasn’t been brought up yet, but which might help a little to quiet the angst some viewers might feel about the opinions I’ve expressed here.

I purposely highlighted the phrase at competitions to affirm that I was opinionating on competition fads and not on commercial work. I thought I was clear on that but as I’ve written before, reading requires attention to what is written rather than what is imagined through the lens of presumption, bias, or personal prejudice against the writer. Commercial work was not in the scope of my commentary. And as my piece is on public view, it’s fair game to criticism too, - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Frankly, it doesn’t matter to me what a commercial taxidermist produces to please a customer. If the customer (or client, if you prefer) is willing to pay for and is satisfied with anything you agree to create for him, even some of the outrageously silly things I’ve seen at a Dallas Safari Club show, for which the taxidermist is handsomely paid, it’s none of my business. As I wrote in my post, “experimentation is one thing,…” even allowing for the fact that some of the implausible creations you see there are experimental, when I watch the faces of people as they view them, I see no wonder in their eyes or even picture taking. Those companies are spending tons of money to advertise there and it’s no wonder they go to extremes to attract attention. Although I’ve written on this subject in my book, my biggest critics would rather remain ignorant of its content than read it and learn a thing or two about what I know, think or believe.

It’s also a pretty good bet that a sizable number of competition pieces are/were in fact commercial work done for a client, and time being money, who can object to entering them in a competition too? No one’s reputation is at stake whether the piece wins big or little. And some of you must have noticed that my leopard/lechewe piece was a commercial work entered in competition for the main purpose of advertising new forms from Precision Mannikins. That was an experimental base with simple sterile groundwork and an untraditional abstract modernistic base. The customer accepted it and I was able to shortcut habitat work and job out the base construction to a local firm. Now that I think of it, looks like I can take credit or blame for starting that trend too.
    And understand this, pleasing most clients who know little about art much less about taxidermy, and impressing a competition judge at the same time is like trying to please your wife and your mother-in-law simultaneously. Good luck with that.
    I hope this clarifies things a little. And I sincerely thank all of you who have taken the time to make positive comments in my favor. I read them all, and even when I don’t comment on them, they are still much appreciated.

Pye, matt dockstader and rigbobby like this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well holy chit, I think I have to eat a little crow here. Please allow me to elaborate. Because of the discussion after Joe's post, I have gone back and reread his original post and as it turns out, I tend to agree more with his views than I previously thought. I was originally fine with what I perceived as Joe's message and the delivery. I was put off by the latter comment.

George and rigbobby like this.
  12. Joe Kish

Texas
    I forgot to post this picture from the Dallas Safari Club show two years ago. This is not untypical of the zany ideas taxidermists create to draw attention. It turns plausibility every which way but loose.
    But worse, was a giraffe pedestal mount with its head and neck rotated from a straight into a left full turn 270 degrees over its back into a right turn. I didn't get a picture of that one.

Attached Files:

13. Joe Kish

Texas
    Let me try that one again. Jan. 20, 2016 006.JPG

14. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Joe, a lot of the downhill spiral of the industry has to do with products on the market geared to sell products to make anyone a "proffesional taxidermist" body forms earliners fake duck heads plastic feet premade bases plastic plants , and a lot of the suppliers or the "one" supplier uses the big names of show winners to market thier "snap together" products. How many taxidermists today do you think could mount a deer head from using the real skull or sculpt a form or tan a hide or even wrap a bird body. Instant results are what they want so never take any time to really study the subject or the nature anatomy habits of them. Use this guys form this guys eyes have this shop tan your skins put mount on this base slap on this brand of fake plants or rocks and.... wait for it..... blue ribbon! So its no question that the "art" if the art is suffering they will maybe wake up some day and realize that you cant eat ribbons or pay bills with trophies but in the mean time did they really learn anything that they can or will use in every day comercial work.....So yeah dont you think a wolf pack would find thier way to the top of a cliff and run down a couple goats....ha ha most " dogs" have a hard time even walking down stairs

Bryan Russell and George like this.
  15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

It's a shame George that Joe won't be this person today. His impact on this industry is unequaled and This is precisely what he could offer to all of us so we could learn and pass along the knowledge and skills he accumulated throughout his long career as a taxidermist and sculptor, but he chooses to do nothing but degrade taxidermist, their work and the entire industry.
    Wouldn't it be great if more and more taxidermist new how to sculpt their own forms and benefit from his skills?
    He could have been welcomed with open arms at every convention and with the private workshops going on these days he could make good part time money on the side passing along his knowledge, but instead people cringe when they see him at a show wondering what trouble he's gonna start.

I honestly think he started with the right intentions but because of reasons we'll never know, some where along the way he went off the rails into la la land. Very Sad

Reminds me of a quote

“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.” -Zig Ziglar

AFTHUNT, 3bears and Kerby Ross like this.
  16. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I like the fake duck heads!

AFTHUNT and 3bears like this.
  17. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

18. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

20180511_182837.jpg 20180511_182837.jpg George, Its funny you bring up wrapping a deer head. That's the challenge I gave myself a few months ago, to use 100 year old technology and enter a show with it. I limited myself to wood, nails, hand tools, excelsior, plaster, clay and wax. Quite an eye opener to how easy we have it. Here's a few pics of the process

Pye, Sotired and George like this.
  19. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

20180521_190704.jpg

Sotired, George and AliciaG like this.
  20. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

20180523_123043.jpg

rigbobby, Sotired and George like this.