1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner airbrush painting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Twolf_148, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    I got the retarder and their extended base which I'm guessing is a thinner. Could not find out much about it. Least it gives me something to work with for now.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The W and W paints seem to work fine without any retarder. I just thin with the extender base for less pigment then thin with plain water to get a milk like consistency.

3. Twolf_148

Twolf_148 New Member

Texas
    Ok. I will have to try it with out. I wanted to make sure I had it rather than not and need it;) thanks

FishArt likes this.
  4. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Thanks for the good info, FishArt. I'm gonna apply what you've instructed here.

FishArt likes this.
  5. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Member

Does rubbing alcohol and retarder smell the same?

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

No..

7. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Member

Ok then I think I got ripped off from a supply company in Canada. I ordered retarder, and they sent me a bottle that had ‘retarder’ written on the side with marker. Smells exactly like rubbing alcohol and does not help with the paint from drying at the tip. Paint dries at the tip within about 3 seconds when using it.

8. When it comes to brands and types of paint (i.e. water based, lacquer or oil) the one thing I have learned is that its all up to you and what works best for you. I started with Hydro-Mist water based, and have since begun adding lacquer and rub on paints to get the look I seek. One thing to remember is you will never get the look or effect that you want using one type of paint.