1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3rd Duck - Please Critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by KennethShane, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Also, look at the half naked duck pic. See how the leading edge of the flight web is taut and flows crisply into the body? That's what you're trying to accomplish by pinning the flight web to the "shoulder" of the mannikin. If you don't stretch and pin that leading edge, you don't get that crisp flow. Clear as mud... eh?

2. 9195A00B-F08B-4D81-A31D-F7CEBAF352E9.jpeg
    Lol Yes sir! I appreciate the explanation. I will definitely watch some videos to try to get a better understanding of how it all works. The photo above is more or less what I was trying to go for. Mainly I’ve just been googling images and save the ones I like. But I was hoping to get that arch to the wings, but instead of pulling the primaries forward, rolled them forward from other pictures I found. Am I right in thinking that if the primaries are pulled forward and the wing is on the forward stroke, then you’re more likely to have that gap with the tertials? (I will watch some videos and try to figure that out for myself, but if you have time, feel free) :) Thanks again for all the comments! From everyone! I feel like I’ve learned a ton already from you all!

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Nope if he is on the downstroke then he is trying to acquire lift and can't afford to lose any air through a gap. My thinking anyway but my brain is also feeble

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Next bird you skin pose it before you start. Feel the bones, feel that flight web. Then when you skin pay close attention to where you cut the flightweb away from the body. That is where you need to reattach it. If you've got the birds to do it, take a crappy one and pluck one side. Then freeze it back. Then when you go to mount your next bird thaw that one out. Have it there with you and pose it and feel and look as you are mounting. You'll get a couple of thaw freeze cycles out of it before it starts to stink.

5. Definitely learning a lot from here. Thanks, fellas!

6. Just wanted to update, the tips from this thread payed off on the hen I mounted. Tertials laid in much better! Thanks!

Wildthings and Tom Maul like this.
  7. Wildthings

It didn't happen without pictures as proof!!

8. 1F9F15ED-7813-4AC0-A63D-C38FE9D65585.jpeg Lol I hear ya! Here’s a top view. I’ve since repositioned the secondaries since this photo as they looked a little too spread out to me. I did tape the tertials, but they layed pretty nice compared to the other 3 I did. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

(Also, the broad tape on the back was just to hold the tail up while the caulk dried. I bet I could remove it now.)

Wildthings likes this.
  9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Looks great! Remember that the secondaries we're attached to bone. So when you tape keep that in mind. Since you removed them from the bone they can go anywhere, just put them back where they go.

Are you inserting a tail support wire? Before you assemble take a piece of wire and poke it in the form in the center of the tail. Remove it and reinsert it after you sew up but before you caulk the tail. That will give you something to support the tail and also will act as a centering tool for the tail feathers.

Keep practicing and paying attention to things you don't like and try to fix one problem at a time!

Tom Maul likes this.
  10. Thanks! I have been using a tail support wire running through where the pygostyle bone was, but on this one the tail still seemed to sit lower than it should

11. Wildthings

Looking a lot better - now preen those coverts and get them shingled!

12. johnb1

johnb1 Well-Known Member

13. johnb1

johnb1 Well-Known Member

What she said. 20180828_135914.jpg

Wildthings and Tom Maul like this.
  14. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Now you're cookin, Kenneth!
    Things are tightening up very nicely.
    It's no crime to tape the tertials at all. Tape helps you get them "just so", and keeps them there during drying. Now, if you have to use tape to "pull/stretch" them to where they need to be... you got a problem. It's obvious to me that that's NOT what's going on.
    You should be hooked by now...;)
    You're well on your way, sir.