1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First bird.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JustinNASBacon, Aug 23, 2018.

1. JustinNASBacon

JustinNASBacon New Member

upload_2018-8-23_8-6-22.jpeg

Please critique.
    Not the final base.

2. Eddy Blanco

Eddy Blanco Member

Is this a dead mount? Only thing I can see from this pic is better grooming on the wing

JustinNASBacon likes this.

3. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Great first bird!
    Firstly... I know that's not the final base, but have you thought through how the head will rest/hang on the final base?
    A freshly killed bird's head would hang down over the edge of that base... it's defying gravity as it's presented in the pic...
    But perhaps you've taken that into account and the final base will accommodate it appropriately(?)
    Secondly... it's hard to tell, but the eye looks pretty open.
    A dead bird"s eyelid will USUALLY relax a bit. I would pull it up about half way and show a bit of the white feather on the eyelid. Probably too dry now, but on the next one....
    For a first, you gotta be happy with that.

4. JustinNASBacon

Yea sir. Thank you for the reply

5. JustinNASBacon

Thank you sir. I learned so much on this bird. I got excited to take pictures and didn’t realize that my bird is sitting far too forward on the piece of foam. The bill will be slightly overhanging a rock, if i can figure out a rock shelf. Attached is a better picture of the bill and eye.
    upload_2018-8-23_16-52-48.jpeg

Thank you for the reply. I hope to post up more pictures of my birds in the near future.

6. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I kinda figured that you had it thought through, Justin, and that it would look right in the end... and yes, I see the eye work now.
    Nice job.... now you'll have to tackle that swan in the pic... :D

7. JustinNASBacon

Thats one reason why decided to try my hand at it. Lol its in the freezer. I made a mistake though before i realized what i was doing. I skinned it out took very little measurements and through away the body, after i breasted it out of course. This was all the day i shot it. I wanted the meat and didnt know for sure if i wanted to get it mounted. You live and learn i guess. I have 3 more birds to do, and then make a decision on whether or not i want to see if i can butcher the swan. Lol I’m sure i’ll be flooding the internet with questions to google and all the forums. Lol

8. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I think Brooke will do it for ya, gratis.... she's says they're a snap!...:D

9. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Brooke can help you on that swan! It's one of her favorites!

bucksnort10 and JustinNASBacon like this.
  10. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Justin...don't listen to these guys! I did ONE swan.... And that's the only one I'll ever do.:eek:

When you go to mount it I would suggest taking it apart. Remove the wings and the tail. Get everything clean then put it together and dry it before posing. Get you a sheet of plywood and cover it with a trash bag. That'll barely give you enough room to lay it out, sew it and dry it.

There's not enough money for me to ever do another.

11. JustinNASBacon

I was wondering if there was a way to cut down on some of the bulk while trying to flesh and what not. if I attempt it my plan is to do it as a deadmount. for some reason I can't get away from them. aside from my one personal bird that I've done. all the taxidermy I've paid for is all deadmount too. my wife allows them in the kitchen says it looks natural. lol anyway, thanks for the reply and tips.

12. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm 5'2

JustinNASBacon and Wildthings like this.
  13. JustinNASBacon

Thats an awesome mount! So you took the wings and tail off of that to do all the bulk fleshing and drying, then attached them when you were ready to mount?

14. JustinNASBacon

I re-read your original post.... i wasn’t paying attention at all. Lol
    Gonna try that, we’ll see if i get it done or not. Lol

15. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I've never done a swan, Justin, but if I were you I'd kill (or have one gifted to you... no buying, selling, bartering, trading, etc) a big Canada goose. Do that goose how you plan to do the swan. It'll give you a better idea of what you're up against and if your techniques are going to serve you well.
    I just hate to see you jack up a swan, unless they're easy to come by for you.
    Just my two cents.

JustinNASBacon and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  16. JustinNASBacon

that's a good tip. I'm planning on holding off on it for a while, provided I find freezer space while i'm in school for a month. I should be able to get a goose this season