1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fitting wild sheep horns back on skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by HuntersUnion, Aug 23, 2018.

1. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

I have done a few wild sheep euros now but this one I'm working on the horns will not fit back on properly. There is a large gap between the core the horn, the horn must have shrunk and is not the same shape as the core any more. I have been sanding down the core so the horn will slide down farther but I wanted to see if others have this problem and what they do. Sheep is one animal I am terrified to screw up.

2. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I have had to cut off portion of cores to get a good fit. Start small ;)

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Cut the cores shorter as above but .. have you tried soaking the horns to see if they expand enough to get them to fit?

4. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Sea Wolf....that might get them back on....might, but they need to be dry to epoxy, glue or use adhesive for a firm fit.

5. Sea Wolf

True. But, thinking if they have to be soaked to get on, would they not dry tight to the core and be pretty permanent? I hate cutting the cores short but I have to admit I have had to do it almost 100% of the time to get them back on right.

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Absolutely would not be tight. Nothing worse than having one side a little off. If you like a little wiggle personally that's up to the individual. I want mine to stay where I put them. I always glued mine back on. Cutting cores has always been a practice in aiding the degreasing IMO.

7. Sea Wolf

True as well on the degreasing. The cores are hollow and hide a ton of crap.

8. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Thanks for the reply. I have cut them and now sanded the cores to get them to fit. Soaking the horns does help but I haven't found a way to hold the horn in place so it can dry with the cores in place. I also don't feel it would make enough of a difference, the horn is very dense. The next one I do I will drill so I know exactly how far down I need to fit it on. The other sheep i have done have all fit much better but they were all big horn.

9. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

I am trying to post a pic but again I fail.....

10. Sea Wolf

You can try a couple of options. You can go to https://postimages.org/ and set up a free account. Put your pictures up there and then use the provided links to show the pictures here. Click on the small icon with the mountain and sun in it. A window pops up for you to put the link in. It should then show. If you poke around on your profile here you will find you can make an album and put pictures in that too and then show them here.

HuntersUnion likes this.
  11. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Oh good I will try the album option. I tried photo bucket but fail hahaha I am no good at this.

12. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Tying this photo thing again on a different device. This is a different sheep I did, for interest sake and photo posting practice

Attached Files:

13. Sea Wolf

Photo works. Very nice by the way.

14. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Oh good! I am excited to be able to post pics, finally figured out a method.