1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Walleye help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Lance.G, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

This is my first walleye attempt. I feel like I got to hot on the bars. Any good advice to blend it better and fix it? C6E17AEA-F533-4DDC-A5F8-5C45364A69A0.jpeg Any other critique is also welcomed. Customer did not provide Picts I’m just looking at Picts from google images.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They do appear a tad heavy below the lateral line. I lay em down with chalk so that I can remove them if I don't like em, once I like em the get a couple dry shots of clear to lock em in. Find a good reference and follow it.

FishArt likes this.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Truth is markings are not all the far off if any. One must remember a lot depends on time of year and location. Even size/ age of the fish makes a difference.

4. Depending how the bars were put on you could take some 0000 steelwool and go over them,or scaletip over them with some gold or yellow pastels or pearl ex powders.

Bill Dishman, Lance.G and Cecil like this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Fallenscale, do you have any photo's of a like sized walleye that shows bars similar to how Lance has them? I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but, typically on walleyes over 10" or so the barring fades out closer to the lateral line or becomes less prominent below.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bingo. It depends on where they are caught. I rarely even put them in on the Lake Erie Walleyes I do.

Fallenscale likes this.
  7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Steel wool has come to my rescue more than once! Good answer!

And I have used it on purpose for special effects too.

8. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    3bears

I do but I'm not smart enough to upload. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying it's has walleye markings. We could argue if it should have a glass or brown eye. With no picture of it how can one argue.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm with 3Bears. On occasion the "splotches" will carry below the lateral line but they are USUALLY much less pronounced and not as uniform as the markings in the pic. Unless there's some Sauger in them too that is. And yes, steel wool to fix. I almost always tone down my walleye markings with steel wool. In fact I go through steel wool as fast as Q-tips to achieve various effects on numerous species...

3bears and Cecil like this.
  10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm typically the same. Yes it has walleyeish markings. I can agree on that but, not attractive to look at. I think the rest looks pretty good though.

FishArt and Fallenscale like this.
  11. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll try the steel wool and some more scale tipping.

12. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

Breakthrough published an EXCELLENT 5-part article on mounting, finishing and painting a walleye by World Champion Brian Noody. To order, call 800-783-7266:
    Part 1, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 120, pp42-49
    Part 2, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 121, pp50-56
    Part 3, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 122, pp62-70
    Part 4, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 123, pp50-60
    Final: Part 5, Fish Techniques from a World Champion, Issue 124, pp66-72 SOLD OUT

Lance.G and Cecil like this.
  13. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

E9592809-9248-40D0-955E-45EDA0952B83.jpeg Thanks for the pointers everyone. Steel wool and some more scale tipping subdued the barring enough to get by I think.

14. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

pretty nice fish for first attempt on a walleye

Multispeciestamer likes this.
  15. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Thanks