1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The power of three...

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by fish stuffer, Aug 30, 2018.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

Anybody remember the Breakthrough habitat manuel? I think I got it someplace. I haven't looked at it in years. I remember an article that said...If you were mounting some bream or crappie on driftwood, it would be more artistic to use 3 instead of 4. Same with flower arangement. I can't remember why. Except for the power of 3. Three is more asteticaly pleasing to the eye. Who comes up with this? Why does the eye see one thing more artistic or pleasing than another? Another thing I'm seeing alot is a base, like an oval or octagon, with habitat, and the driftwood or branch sticks over to the side and the fish or bird is not even over the base. It's off to the side. The fish next to it is straight over the oval and it's not as artistically pleasing?I think I'm gonna do this. Picture an oval base from walnut hollow, underwater scene, stump with a branch comming off one side. But this limb is 8 feet long and the bream is hanging over the other table, 8 feet away. Reckon the judges will like it? lol!

JL likes this.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I recon you have way too much time to think.;) Even numbers look mechanical.

rogerswildlife likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It's not going to be an inconvenience to the judges, but it will be a pain in the ass for you to mount a fish on an 8 foot branch and get it to a show.

JL and rogerswildlife like this.
  4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

"Three's" are not necessarily "more artistic". Just easier to pull off vs. even numbers. One fish is easy because it's all about the fish and the fish is the focal point. Kind've like taking a portrait of somebody. Two fish is more difficult to pull off (from a composition standpoint) simply because typically the two fish can be fighting each other as the focal point. Adding a third fish usually helps create a "triangle" of interest within the piece. It's easier to keep one's eye within the display. Adding habitat (or not, sometime's using negative space) to the two fish and playing with positioning of everything can also help create an interesting composition even with even numbers. Simply put though, it's much easier for the average taxidermist to choose odd numbers instead of trying to understand composition and key placement of objects within the display to maintain interest. AND, it generates more revenue when you talk your customer into doing a third or fifth replica - lol!