1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting my first Elk!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

That's cool. I was in that area Wednesday. If you see a white Arrow Exterminator truck in the area that's me. Do you have a shop there at the house?

I'm really glad I asked this question. I would have never thought of the stuff that you all have talked about. Maybe one at ill know as much as you all have forgot! I did not realize there would be this much to taxidermy before I got started.

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I have a shop (my converted four car garage) but I am strictly a hobbyist at this time. I don't have the time (or desire) to do commercial work at this time. I will keep an eye out for your truck!

3. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Ok. So I got my form in yesterday. And I have a couple of questions for you all.
    1. Does anyone have any pictures of how I need to bore the nose out on a flared nostrel bull.
    2. What paint colors should I use. The same as a whitetail?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    As far as pics go just do a search on the web and find one you like and replicate the best you can. Colors, I use the same colors, pretty much for all big game, the difference will be the intensity of many of the colors and that is kind of dictated by the animal itself.

Dwb5 likes this.
  5. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

All of the antlered big game animals we do in our shop we use a template of the skull befor the antlers are removed, we have templates from small rag horns to big 400 class bulls also for different sizes of deer, etc. when mounting the elk use the template in installing the antlers and it will be a perfect match to the original, but you may need to alter the form for wall clearance as had been previously stated.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I could tell you how and what colors to use, however, I think award winner Scott Brewer could do a better job telling you and showing you on his Research Mannikins DVD and Jody Green will do the same on his Taxidermy Training Unlimited DVD.

Dwb5 likes this.
  7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Instead of drilling a hole like Joey mentions above this is what I do. Get a 3/8" or 1/2" all thread. Chuck it up in a cordless drill and then run it against a sander. I have a belt sander that I use. This will produce a sharp point. Then get it front of the mannikin and proceed to drill the allthread through the head and into the shoulder section going through the joint you created. I do this 2-3 times and it has all the support it will need. Any allthread that is left sticking out I cut flush wih a Dremel.. Easy Peasy

Oh and use soap to lubricate the lag screw threads instead of oil
    560966321.jpg
    560966628.jpg

560967276.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Dwb5 likes this.
  8. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    Dwb5. I have an elk to mount as well (first one too) and also a NE Tenn native (Kingsport), although haven't lived there for 22 years (military). Let us know what you learned along the way and post plenty of pics. Its been great reading all the advice from the group. Extremely beneficial. Answered a lot of my questions as well. Probably will attempt it after football season. Wife has me busy building furniture right now.

Dwb5 likes this.
  9. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Thanks for all the advice so far. It is really helping me. I have another question. Do you all use 34mm or 36mm eyes. Joe coombs said 34 so that's what I ordered. They just look small.

10. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

36 or 38 for most bulls that are worth mounting. 34 is tiny

11. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

That's what I thought. Its a 12 1/2"- 29"

12. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Do you think I can get by with the 34 since I have them. Or will you be able to tell bad?

13. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

I would wait and get the right size eye. But i have a pet peeve about too small of eye in a mount.

14. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

How many time can I freeze and thaw him. I have thawed and froze him a couple of times now. Where I was making sure of measurements. I got everything in and thawed him Monday. It will be a couple days before I get them in. He is wet tanned. Will he be fine to wait till then or freeze him again?

15. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Sorry thawed him yesterday

16. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Well he has been drying for a week now. For some reason it was not letting me post a pic. I got another question. For a corner pedestal. How much room should I allow for? It will be on top of a stump.