1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

big buck contest?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by juli, Sep 12, 2018.

1. juli

juli Active Member

Since moving to MO from AK, I have been trying to figure on ways to get the ball rolling for the new business.

Considering we live in very rural area and don't know anyone, I don't think word of mouth is going to start taking hold for a while.

I am considering a big buck contest for the local counties and hoping to get some ideas from those who have done contests in the pasts..... There really aren't big bull (moose/caribou) contests in Alaska, for reasons that are obvious. :)

some thoughts are
    three divisions - women, men, kids (12 and under)
    bow only kills
    partner with another local business, like a feed store or hardware store

but I am not really sure about anything else... such as what prizes to offer (1st, 2nd, 3rd or big buck only). Early season ?(opening day to Oct 15) vs 'the rut' (nov 1-nov 20?), or the entire season.
    best advertising to get the word out there - local paper, social media

Also - any legalities surrounding such contests? (in MO)

thanks a bunch,
    Juli

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I added a category for the smallest rack. They got a prize same as the largest. It was a popular category.

juli likes this.

3. grumpa

grumpa Member

You'd be better off with a lucky buck contest. Everybody that brings in a buck is eligible. Then draw a name at the end of the season. That way every entrant has a chance. Somebody knows that there is a bigger buck entered than his, thinks I'll shop. Get the idea? also, what are you thinking for the winner? Free mount, percent off, what?

Dwb5, juli and 3bears like this.
  4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Here in PA the Sportman's clubs would be a good place to start. Some of the more active clubs belong to the Federation of Sportsman Clubs
    https://www.pfsc.org/

In Virginia alot of the land is leased by Hunting Clubs. Some of the active ones are listed on their directory.
    http://www.huntclublisting.com/index.php?page=modules/search/results&state=Virginia

I don't know anything about your area, but here is a quick google of 112 in MO.
    I would try to notify the Clubs, Associations or Federations in your region.

https://www.yellowpages.com/mo/hunting-clubs

If you send them a notice, they can read it at their meetings or send the info out in their news letters. Some on the list aren't really hunting clubs, but others may get you started in the right direction.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    juli likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm not aware of any legality issues you will have here in MO. I would suggest not limiting it to bowhunters. 80%-90% of the deer I take in are harvested with a firearm. Bow killed deer make up such a small portion of the work I take in, it wouldn't do me much good to target them. Getting established anywhere new is hard, but with the internet and social media it is much easier today than it ever has been. Meat lockers are also a good place to establish a relationship with and advertise (if they will allow you to).

7. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    How are you going to determine the winner, most points, weight , score? They tried here
    a couple of places and there was always an argument because this person called it a point
    and this one didn't. If theres a lot of deer killed in your area it can be a big hassel. Get
    some coupons printed up 10% off or something and pass them out , just make sure you
    put the year and use by date on them. Make things a lot easier for yourself.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

The rules in the contest I run state that all scores are FINAL. I am an official Buckmaster's and SCI scorer. There is no arbitration on what is and isn't scoreable, because my word is the word. We got in this about 10 years ago, and it helped turn my little part time business into a full time business with 2 employees. Br careful what you wish for...sometimes it can be overwhelming when dreams come true.

EA likes this.