1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet specimen

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Catsofallcolors, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Catsofallcolors

Catsofallcolors New Member

Hi all,
    I am currently in the process of fixing premature kittens in a tub of 10% formalin. I have read lots of information about what to store them in afterward, but most sources have different answers. What is the best product and concentration to store them in? They have little to no hair and underdeveloped skin.

2. Deadfish

Deadfish New Member

In the past I've used high percentage isopropyl alcohol but I am about to switch to trying denatured alcohol

3. Deadfish

Deadfish New Member

From what iv read 70% isopropyl is the most popular unless you have acess to pure ethanol (which can be expensive). Denatured alcohol is just ethanol thats been altered so people wont drink it and stuff. I cant yet speak to how well it works as i havnt tried it yet. With isopropyl i tend to use 99% isopropyl, but this somtimes leads to wrinkling as the cells dehydrate if its not slowly incremented into that. So ultimatly I think 70% isopropyl is not only the most readily available but probably the most popular long term storage used