1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Timber Rattlesnake in New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by JL, Sep 18, 2018.

1. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

The snake was on TV and they showed it coiled and alive with the tail moving and sounding the rattles.They wouldn't say in which town they found it since it's endangered. Thirty years ago I had a road crew bring me one they killed on the side of the road that had a fresh red squirrel in it's stomach. Since the head was totally smashed I skinned and tanned that one and donated the skin to our F&G department. The town they found it in has had a number of sightings over the years and I was surprised they didn't name the town since a lot of tourists visit the woods there. This one was almost completely black but the one I tanned had nice color and markings after the scale sheaths were removed. Maybe they're coming back?

rogerswildlife and Kerby Ross like this.
  2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I doubt that they are making a comeback, but more like maintaining in limited numbers in micro habitats. :)

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Micro comeback....maybe, but at least a comeback. I've lived in New Hampshire all my life (82 yrs) except for 8 years as a US Navy combat medic and never saw a live one in spite of being a very active woodsman and guide, so anyone seeing one is a bonus.