1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lionzilla skull on the ebay

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by j-rex, Sep 19, 2018.

1. j-rex

j-rex New Member

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Its just a lion, nothing exceptional

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As Lee is a member on here, why don't you ask her? Here or through eBay. She measures skulls accurately and the casts are made by her and she is not selling Bone Clones pieces or copies of them.. She owns the originals that she is making casts of. Lionzilla was a captive lion and, as such, can easily be larger than a wild lion and larger than B&C records.

j-rex and George like this.
  4. j-rex

j-rex New Member

Her name is Lee? I thought it was Schrecken. Really sorry for assuming things like she copied skulls from others, so I just need to ask her about those lion skulls. Did she used the same username here?

Yes, captive lions did grow much larger than wild lions. But in the original Lionzilla ebay page by Schrecken, she said it was a wild lion.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  5. This is Lee/Schrecken....I measure all my skull casts with calipers - greatest width and greatest length overall without the lower jaw. The overall score (length + width = 28") would translate to about 71cm or 710mm.
    As for the origins of the original skull, the skull's owner believed that it was from a wild lion, and I would tend to agree on that based upon the fact that captive-bred lions often have certain features not found in wild lions. These include specific wear on the teeth (from chewing on cage bars) and un-natural features like overshot/undershot jaws, mis-aligned teeth, spaces between incisors, crowded teeth, etc. I've cleaned and handled quite a few captive lion skulls and many of them have these maladaptive characteristics, not unlike comparing a domestic dog to a wild wolf.
    The original Lionzilla is near perfect in shape and proportion, and the teeth line up and the jaws close normally. That, and the skull did not have the nasal bones, which is almost always the case with lions that were taken in the wild because the skulls were boiled and cleaned in Africa.

Any other questions feel free to ask here (though I don't check here every day) or PM me.

j-rex likes this.
  6. j-rex

j-rex New Member

T
    Thank you for your response, Lee. What are the exact measurements of Lionzilla especially its length and width in milimeters? If you don't mind and sorry if I'm bothering, can you do some re-measurement in milimeters?

7. Lee reports the 710 mm

8. j-rex

j-rex New Member

That's the total score. I want to know the length, width and height of Lionzilla skull in milimeters.