1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Check these prices Out!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by buckfever*, Sep 19, 2018.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Things that make you go hmm.

2. Nope, that makes go wtf dumba$$

I wouldn’t skin a stinking ass yote for 300.

rogerswildlife and 3bears like this.
  3. That's about on par for anywhere in southern alabama on deer and maybe bobcat and fox. You can mount a deer for $300 and make a pretty decent living or charge 400 to 500 and never mount a deer.

Bill Dishman and HOGGDOGS like this.
  4. And I agree with you on a yote. I try and charge enough to scare them off.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I guess I wouldn't mount any deer.

Bill Dishman, George, D.Price and 2 others like this.
    Megan :) and Kerby Ross like this.
  7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

he doesn't take waterfowl because he is far to busy with those antler and shoulder mounts. I would love to see his 75 dollar squirrel mount

freeze_1 and Triple J Taxidermy like this.
  8. Everybody's situation with price is different. If you have to pay high prices on shipping, overhead on a building and and so on and so on then yes your gonna have to charge more to make a living. I drive and pick my forms up and own my shop and house and I have a military retirement. My situation is much different than most. With the economy the way it is in this part of the world $300 Is alot.

9. 88C62D05-9B7E-4CFD-A592-E0234CDFBB7A.png

JL, George and rogerswildlife like this.
  10. I dont care to get into a debate, But you REALLY need to take a look at your supply expenses. Lets not even consider overhead, ( electric, phone, water, taxes, etc, etc). Just supplies and just using dp . Your in at least 100.00 with manking, eyes, clay, paint, pins, earliners or bondo, allgame, thread, By your own admission travel experiences, ( gas isnt free) proably taxes on all those items. 100.00 is questionable. So 200 hundred bucks , for maybe if your really fast 2.5 to 4 hours of labor.
    But lets be honest your electric, water ,phone, heat source, isn't free neither.
    You may very well be in the red.
    I wish you well and prosperity, I do, in you business plan, but dont shoot your self in the foot just because the other guys do.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. I'm about $75 per deer. There's no job within 80 miles of me that pays anywhere close to my hourly wage. Like was said on another post a little while back, I'm not concerned with anybody else but myself.

HOGGDOGS likes this.
  12. If your happy with it, your right it isn’t anybody business including me.
    Life is to short and full of unwanted envents to worry over what the hell so and so thinks.
    Not a single one had or has a perfect business plan. Each one of us can find fault in others strategy, but fail to see their own.
    I leave you with what a taxidermist told me years ago. When i first started.
    “Even if your not , act like your better than all the rest. People will believe it. So dont follow the pack lead it. Charge more !”

freeze_1 likes this.
  13. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I remember doing deer heads for $300 ..... back in 1989.

:)

Kerby...

George likes this.
  14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i would move to a better place to earn my living with my profession then, if that state only can afford those low prices for my hard work. thanks for the squirrel picture, I don't even think that's worth 75 bucks. with the way it looks your getting screwed.

Jerry Huffaker likes this.
  15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I live in the poorest state in the country and charge $460 w/o a panel, and $500 with. We just finished mounting deer from last season...150. That guy will get work like wildfire for a minute, then figure out there is more to life that sitting in a crummy taxidermy shop 80 hours a week to make what others make in 40-50 hours. If he reports any of his income, he won't make anything.

16. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

His deer heads look beautiful, I like his eyes and how nicely they are groomed.

17. I was attracted to those HOT PINK turkey feet. :Do_O

Chippers and rogerswildlife like this.
  18. Still don't understand how grown men can get on here and worry about what the man 10.stayes over is doing. Nobody on here pays his bills and he doesn't pay yours or mine. I agree his work may look like a $75 squirrel but that's between him and the person who's paying him. I guess I need to tell the neighborhood lawn man that he needs to be charging twice what he charges because the man 3 hrs from here gets twice that. He could sell his $100,000 dollar house, but the same house at $280,000 in the new area, charge double for lawn care, and ??

rogerswildlife likes this.