1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Check these prices Out!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by buckfever*, Sep 19, 2018.

1. After careful thought and eating a little crow today we decided to go up to $425. The way I figure it is if they can't afford it they need cut the horns off and put in the barn. Hopefully I've got my only competition doing the same, but doubtful.

rogerswildlife and 3bears like this.
  2. Dat a boy , lead the pack big dog! Lol

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Maybe you could pay a friendly visit to your competition and convince him to go up on his price. You both will be better off than before. What will the hunter do then? Drive one-hundred-fifty miles to the next closest taxidermist? Maybe, or maybe not. Just my opinion!

rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. Biggest issue is there's still a few within 60 miles. I get quite a bit from out of state hunters that would rather leave it than worry with all the new transport laws. My wife convinced me to go up. Truth be known!

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I doubt that you will regret going up. I hope it works out for you.

6. Ha ha. Now we know who wears paints. Lmao

7. All being said,.i still stand by not putting others down and worrying about what others are doing.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't see anything out of line with his prices. That's exactly what I would expect to pay. I have always said, "taxidermists are very good at determining their worth", and he just proved that.

9. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

2 guys in the same town get $500 for a deer and cant catch up It is what it is You get what you pay for.

10. Price doesn't mean quality. I've seen plenty $300 deer that looked better than some $500 mounts. I just said yesterday i was going up. There will be no difference in my quality of work.

11. I like that!,
    Your absolutely right a price increase in the evening dont make you wake up in the morning with magic hands.

Back in the day, my wife thought i did.:D:D:)

msestak likes this.
  12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's a squirrel??? I thought maybe it was suppose to be a mink - Ha!

13. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Where can you get a panel for a shoulder mount for less than $15?

GWebb likes this.
  14. Cd plywood, jigsaw, sander, stain, and a bunch of wasted time!

socalmountainman likes this.
  15. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Location is a determining factor ,I know this from the area I'm in you ,you may get lucky with one or two customers willing to pay 500 for a deer head but most won't pay over 400

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I was told that $500 was about tops for my area when I was charging $750 and had a hard time keeping my turn around time under a year. I was crazy busy.

Bill Dishman, Kerby Ross and George like this.
  17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

ABSOL
    ABSOLUTELY. it always the same lame assed excuse. You cant get $500 because all the work " in your area" all have the same crappy standards.

And the reason professionals from other states worry about your pricing is that your lowballing reflects a standard we refuse to live by. With the internet, our customers tend to ask us how we justify our pricing. Because they see cheap work from afar, it might LOOK exceptional, but when your clients see close up comparisons, they soon recognize the difference. If you charge $250 and I charge $500, I may actually get half the customers you do while making just as much and doing half the work. Not rocket science, just simple math.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  18. I'm going to buy a new truck this next week. Been shopping around for the cheapest deal. Guess I've wasted my time. Need to see who's got the highest price, that's where the quality is. PEOPLE QUIT WORRYING ABOUT WHAT OTHERS CHARGE!

msestak likes this.
  19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

This is a terrible analogy, as all of the trucks were made in the same plant by the same people. Taxidermy is a skill, so you would be better off comparing other skilled trades. For instance, welders, auto body repair, or even construction. My favorite analogy is probably a tatoo artist, because like taxidermists they must be skilled and artistic.

Kerby Ross and rogerswildlife like this.
  20. My point was that some of you seem to think you have to justify your high price by putting a small town man down.