1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kudos to Brian Hendricks – Makes the cover of Taxidermy Today

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    The gray fox has been my favorite small mammal since I was a teenager and tried unsuccessfully to mount one into a recognizable imitation of a live one with only the guidance of J. W. Elwood’s lesson book. To this day I still scrutinize any mount of this beautiful mammal as much again to admire its striking coloration as to enjoy the particulars of its physiology and the craftsmanship of whoever mounted it.

This year’s winning entry in the NTA North American Champion category is a gray fox by Brian Hendricks, now featured on the cover of the current issue of Taxidermy Today Magazine. Everything about it is a feast for the eyes. Brian couldn’t have chosen a more prime specimen or a more typical attitude for the species. When you look at this mount on the cover of Taxidermy Today, you might notice that it isn’t difficult to momentarily suspend your disbelief that it’s a mounted specimen and not the live animal. To put it another way, if it looks more like the living animal, which it is not, than it does like a mounted specimen, which it is, then the taxidermist who mounted it has achieved what we all strive for in the art of taxidermy – flawless realism.

As praise worthy as this mount is, (and it is) from one perspective at least, it wasn’t all that hard to do such a superb piece of work. After all, Brian mounted the skin on a Brian Hendricks form.

Brian Hendricks fox.jpg
    (Photo by Ken Edwards)

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have these in my backyard and like you Joe I love these great looking little foxes. Brian was the master at mounting them and his interpretations of them is something to strive for.

Megan :) likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It's always been my favorite also and Brian did an awesome job on it.

4. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Very nice the K-9 cat

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Awesome piece!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

What? Brian Hendricks is a live and well Joey

woakley144, Cole and msestak like this.
  7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I could only wish to do a fox that beautiful. I contacted Brian a couple years ago about his forms and sent him photos of my mount on one of his easy face forms. He was very helpful with suggestions on what I needed to do to improve the mount.

Congrats Brian on making the cover and a fantastic mount.

Vic

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Lord have mercy. I was thinking Brian Harness. So sorry for that error.

Megan :) likes this.
  9. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

first class mount.... first class guy

10. That is outstanding Brian, great job.

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Awesome talent!