1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salted deer cape straight to the pickle

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jordan Park, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hey guys, I’m wondering if I can take my deer cape and put it into the pickle the day after I do the second salting of the hide, while it’s still pliable or does it need to hang a few days to get dry and hard then rehydrate the skin, then into the pickle?
    What I’m trying to say lol is can I skip the rehydrating process if I plan on pickling and tanning the hide right away?

Thanks!

2. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

I used to do that, after a day or two of salting I would put it straight into my pickle. I always had a problem with not getting enough stretch on my capes. I went to rehydrating them in a bucket of plain water for 30-60 minutes. It was unreal of the difference. It also keeps your pickle much cleaner. I just hang them for 10 minutes or so to drain and then in the pickle they go.

rogerswildlife and joeym like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Rehydrate even after salted for one day.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I never let my hides dry out .I always pickle while they are still soft and pliable.I have found it to hard to get the stretch back,after drying too long
    This is how I do it. some others might do it differently. This is what works best for Me.
    Good luck and enjoy your tanning. Have fun

rogerswildlife likes this.
  5. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Thanks guys for the quick replies! I will rehydrate for sure! I’ve had trouble too with getting all the stretch back, so I look forward to trying it this way now.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The only way your going to get stretch back if pickle/tan is with shaving thin and even. Tanneries all start with salt hard dried skins/capes, all come back with plenty stretch, even my home tan when I did in house.

7. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I would skin everything asap. Salt hard and dry and roll them up as they dried and that is how I stored them. I would rub of the salt as they dried and use a lot of salt. I never rehydrated before the pickle but had 3 different pickles. the first was dirty but was a pickle used it as a first wash and hydration soak, next day to the second until tanned and the 3rd was all most a clean storage. I would then hang over the first pickle to drain to help refill it. This is when I would finish fleshing, splitting the lips, eyes and ears the rest of the way. Then I neutralize the pickled hide, degrease and wash and get the hide smelling good. Then blowout all the water with a shopvac and repair it. Mount or freeze it.

Jeff70 likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always salt dried hard before rehydrating for the pickle and they always finished out with green hide stretch or greater.

9. Try out the Pro Maxx tan and oil from pro-1. Raw hide straight into pickle. No pre salting!