1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Market information

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Erik Christian, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Erik Christian

Erik Christian New Member

Hello -
    I'm trying to write a college paper specific to creating a feasibility study and ultimately a business plan for opening a taxidermist shop. For my paper I need to gather market industry data such as size of the market per state, nation wide, and internationally.
    I'm running into brick walls trying to get this information. By posting this question in this forum, I'm hoping some you may have had to go through a similar exercise and could give me some guidance.
    I appreciate any feedback.
    Erik

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Good luck.

Most states do not monitor how many taxidermists there are nor the amount of game that are brought in.

In Arizona the AZ G&F Dept requires a taxidermy license and quarterly reports of what was brought in. So that information is there ... not sure if they release that info though.

:)

Kerby...

3. Erik Christian

Thanks. It sounds like this data may be difficult to get.

4. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    I don't think business plan and taxidermy shop have ever been used in the same sentence before.

5. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    After 30 plus years in business I'm still trying to figure it out! Not sure it is "feasible"!:confused::D

freeze_1 likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Most taxidermists begin as a hobby. I did by taking a correspondence course almost 50 years ago. Only in the last decade have I operated as a bonafide business. My main reason for this is having a son who needed a career direction in his life. As a music major and musician, he was starving between gigs. I'm very proud of him in his progress in taxidermy in the last 4 years. If it weren't for him, I'd quit today. You can refer to my website for a brief history of our business...www.mstaxidermist.com
    As far as the economic impact of taxidermy on the economy, that will be very difficult to measure. A tremendous amount of taxidermy is done "off the record" to avoid paying taxes. Taxidermists are notorious for undercharging, and there is little meat left on the bone if the business is ran legitimately.

7. Most people are either to laze to learn or stupid to understand or pay some one that understands the tax system and how small business like a taxidermy shop works in this system. For most it is easier to hide from the tax man then run things on the up and up. You got to be ALL IN with either way you pick to make a living. The same goes for auto repair shops, restaurants, home repair and landscaping and the list goes on.

8. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Erik,
    There isn't much data collected by associations and magazines that might give you a useful picture of the size or the nature of the art (or industry) of taxidermy that a potential investor would want to back with his money. There is no particular need for associations to gather such information as it would be too time consuming for unpaid officers and would likely not result in advancing their purposes or be necessarily a big factor in increasing membership.

I think you would find this helpful.

How to Write a Prospectus-10 Steps to Drafting Proper Offering ...
    www.prospectus.com/…tion/how-to-write-a-prospectus/

How to Write a Prospectus for soliciting investment capital from investors ... Our typical turnaround time on document preparation is one business week or less or ...

9. Erik Christian

Thanks for the feedback!

10. Erik Christian

Thanks!

11. Erik Christian

T
    Thank you!

12. Erik Christian

I appreciate all the feedback.

13. PA

PA Well-Known Member

If you had listed the state you were in, someone form that state may be able to suggest information relevant to your area. For example, if you were from Pennsylvania, all taxidermists must be registered and if you contacted the PA Dept. of Agriculture you may be able to find out how many registered taxidermists operate legally within the state see: https://www.agriculture.PA.gov/Anim...icates/Taxidermy Licensing/Pages/default.aspx
    Also, the state of Pennsylvania, as does many other states, has an association with members and hold an annual convention. Many of the better taxidermists belong to the organization and you could contact members individually to try and gather additional information. This site gives many links to organizations at https://www.taxidermy.net/assoc/assoclist1.html
    The respective Game Commissions may have data on deer harvested and perhaps numbers of larger deer suitabel to be mounted, and perhaps you could extrapolate percentage of deer harvested that might be mounted. The population of your state vs. the number of practicing taxidermists could be plotted by county, but to come up with a business plan would be very hard to develop. Most taxidermists that are successful, (and there are not many full time wealthy taxidermists), usually have a spouse or other job which covers benefits and or retirement. Making a living as a taxidermist full time without either a working spouse or other full time job is extremely difficult. I don't know many taxidermists that can retire at 65 with a portfolio of stocks sufficient enough to live a good life without a military pension. Today I would suggest a taxidermist would need at least a million in the bank to even consider having a comfortable retirement and I know no taxidermist that has that much money socked away. For the record, I am not a full time taxidermist, I work at a museum which allows me to do some taxidermy.

Megan :) likes this.
  14. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You're not going to find any market data on the taxidermy service business, it's not out there. It might be possible to get the information about the supply end of the industry but I would bet they won't be interested in letting anything out. It's not your typical service industry.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  15. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Search Manta site. Mental Floss shows the US. Total for taxidermy at $800 million... from breakthrough Magazine