1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scale tipping a walleye

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gusm, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Gusm

Gusm New Member

hey everyone going to try tipping walleye scales for the first time! At what point in the painting process do you tip the scales? Before painting?
    New to taxidermy also! As if you couldn’t tell!!
    Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Before, during and after depending on what the skin looks like but typically it is towards the end on most. Pick some good reference and try to match them.

Sotired likes this.

3. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Perfect! Thank you!

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've never seen the need to scale tip a commercial quality walleye. The only thing I do from time to time is enhance the scale detail by using dark brown paint and steel wool on the lower flanks, after which I add yellow/gold on the scales with an airbrush.

To each his own obviously.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    JL likes this.
  6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Like Cecil says POPO, paint on paint off, stripes for gold and yellow ochra then Dark brown with airbrush all flat with body spraying to fill in the back side of the scales. start at tail move toward the head. Lightly hitting the scales then use the steel wool to remove over spray. I do it the backside of my fish, after putting on a scale pattern. Felt is my pet peeve.