1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Bear......I had the hide tanned soft lifesize....but

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John L, Oct 1, 2018.

1. John L

John L Active Member

The guy only wants a shoulder mount so I'm not sure exactly where to cut the hide. He wants the rest to remain soft and wants front legs attached so not sure where to cut to get the best result. I want enough to get the shoulder mount but don't want to waste any or very little.

Drawings, details anything that helps is appreciated.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Order the form, test fit then cut it while it is on the form.

msestak likes this.

3. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I'd do it exactly as 3bears.

4. John L

John L Active Member

I guess I can soak up the head and neck to get measurement and freeze while I wait for the form

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

MY thoughts also. Just order the form, and mount it. What you trim away is what will be left over. Don't make any cuts until it is mounted and that will tell you. I have done it many times.

msestak likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Same here. Simply rehydrate with a mist bottle of water everything that will fit on the form, trim off what you don't need, and you have it. After removing the excess, if it's not hydrated to your satisfaction, wet again and sweat overnight in a plastic bag in a refrigerator. This really relaxes a skin.

7. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Sounds more like a 1/2 or 3/4 body mount to me if he wants the front legs attached.
    If that's the case I agree with the above and cut up the back if you have to. Make sure you charge accordingly. This doesn't sound like a shoulder mount to me. If leaving the front legs attached you can make an incision from the pad straight up that long hair line on the backside of the leg just long enough to get the foot turned inside out for. I usually cut about a foot up from the pad. No problem sewing that back up.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think he wants the front legs attached to the rug. That's what I understood when I gave my response.