1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lacquer Thinner to Degrease Ears?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bluenose Moose, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Is there something other than lacquer thinner to degrease ears? Ive heard acetone too, but I was hoping for something a little gentler with less fumes.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Soapy water.

Keith likes this.

3. Yeah soapy water wont cause the hair to slip? I have wondered if using degreaser made for pickling solutions would be a better bet.

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

No, soap water shouldn't cause any slippage. Just a quick wash scrub and rinse it off in luke warm water. Blow out excess moisture with an air compressor.

5. I've used acetone for ever without any issues. Dip the ears a couple of times and pat dry with towel, let air dry for 10 mins and proceed. I've never had any slippage or drumming issues. I use 2 part epo ears though, you have to work fast with that product.

6. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I have used acetone with no slippage but some drumming.....until I saw Jet Smith use a blow dryer on low heat to dry the ears...... vola! no more drumming!

7. Yeah I use a blow dryer too, dry them till they are whitish but still pliable.

Im just wanting to get away from the harsher stuff like acetone and lacquer thinner.

If I use the stronger degreasers used for pickles, would that be safe for the hair? (My tanner uses a lot of oil, especially on bear rugs)

Thanks a million for the input! Its really helpful! <3