1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet Antler Recommendations

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by carlabrauer, Oct 4, 2018.

1. carlabrauer

carlabrauer Quality bone cleaning with dermestid beetles

Hey there - I have a client who wants the natural velvet preserved on some deer antlers. I don't handle velvet in house, but he's open to me removing the antlers and sending out for processing. So -

Anyone you guys use regularly for freeze drying you'd recommend? I'm in Oregon but shipping is fine. It's my client's daughter's first deer, so it's a special one and I want it to look great.

If freeze drying hardened antlers isn't my best option, what would you recommend that has consistently good results? I know there are "velvet tans" and alcohol soaks but I'm skeptical about their long term preservation properties.

Thanks!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

To be honest, if they want it to be perfect, the faux velvet applied after looks much better if done properly. There are several shops that do a fantastic job with it too. Real velvet, to me, always looks shriveled and mummified, distorted and not at all like in life.

3. I would recommend freeze drying the antlers if the natural velvet is in good condition , freeze drying won’t make them look any better just preserve them in their present condition. Like it was mentioned previous the artificial velvet looks very good. We do both freeze drying and artificial velvet in our shop. If interested give me a call. 505-860-8723. High Desert Taxidermy

4. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

Gale does a great job, you won't be disappointed if you go with him!!!

sgsmith likes this.