1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Suture separation, on black bear skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BearBonz, Oct 4, 2018.

1. upload_2018-10-4_13-49-51.jpeg I have never had this issue before, I have two black pairs that the middle suture separated and will not close. I have used pressure clamps, and zip ties and even used Apoxsee on the inside skullcap. However as soon as it dries it separates. I can spray it with water, and it will close but then again it will separate as soon as dry any suggestions?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Get some Elmer's Glue (white) into the crack with a toothpick. If misting it with water gets it to close, then try that and then apply the clamps until it is absolutely dry. That will take several days. Elmer's is water soluble so to try not to get too much water on it. Get enough into the split to make a good bond. After you tighten the clamps, if any oozes out, wipe it off with a damp cloth. Hopefully when dry this time the glue will hold. ... Curious as to how it was cleaned initially.

BearBonz likes this.

3. That makes better sense, cause I thought about using gorilla glue. Thanks buddy I will give that a try

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Elmer's dries clear and errors are easily corrected by soaking in water. Gorilla glue Expands though it is white (at least the one I have is). It won't soften in water once set and long term, I don't know if it might discolor.

BearBonz likes this.
  5. That’s good to know thanks for the info

6. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

This happens on the younger bears. They are still growing and the skull has more room to flex. The older the bear the more fused the skull is. I have glued the crack before but I hate the look of glue in the crack of it does open a bit. I'd soak and use zip ties, snug up the zip ties as it dries. I'm sure the clamp would work too. Dry it slowly and hope for the best but dont be disappointed with some minor separation, that's nature.
    Good luck.

7. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Also check the humidity in your room, too dry and the separation will be exaggerated. It may be fine in a normal humidity range.

8. Yea. For some reason I got quite a few young ones this year. Zip ties didn’t work so now I Put some Elmers down inside the cracks, and used pressure clamps. So hopefully that will help and won’t see much of the glue. Thanks

9. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Let me know how it works. I get a lot of small bears too.

BearBonz likes this.