1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sharpie Deer Nose Finishing

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mrtubbs, Oct 8, 2018.

1. mrtubbs

mrtubbs New Member

I have seen several posts about using Sharpies to finish off Whitetail deer noses that have looked as realistic as any nose I have seen. I was wondering if anyone has a tutorial of finishing one off with Sharpies or if they at least have a list of the colors they use on their noses.

Thank you!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That's an interesting concept, I didn't think that they made sharpies in pinks , grays, white, and various browns. I bet you could do a red rudolph nose with a sharpie or a piece of coal on the end of it's muzzle. Joking aside, I am interested in this subject, if it is possible, I've never heard of it.

George and rogerswildlife like this.

3. I've heard of it. But never seen one that looked good. Matter of fact before I got into taxidermy I had a nice buck mounted by a hack. Sharpie around the eyes going down to the tear duct, and sharpie nose. Looked terrible, remounted it a long time ago.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. You would be better off using oil paints and artist brush if you don't have an air brush. Many people use a brush and paint and do some outstanding finish work. I use a combo of both. Modge podge in a syringe to rebuild the nodules on the nose pad then a combo of several different colors to finish it. Several tutorials floating around here on the subject. I like to tint my modge podge with paynes gray for rebuilding nose nodules then paint over that

5. mrtubbs

mrtubbs New Member

I currently use oil paints but have a hard time getting the flesh tones at the bottom of the nose. I know the pics I have seen of guys using sharpies had noses with wounds on them and they looked as realistic as I have seen. Can't remember the post or when exactly it was from but their work looked really good

6. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

I've tried it a couple times. I airbrushed the Pinks, Bucktan and then used a Sharpie black marker to hit the tops of the bumps I rebuilt on the nose. I then clear coated it then followed up with a couple coats of Mod Podge. I was happy with it when finished.

7. GP1419

GP1419 Member

I paint the top 2/3rd white and the bottom 1/3rd pink then take a rag with thinner on it and wipe the complete nose pad leaving the color in the cracks, then paint over the nose pad at an angle with yox nose pad gray, with a little mist of black, then mod podge each nodule, after that I take a hair dryer and hit the podge very light to flatten just a little then let dry complete, then spray my super fish gloss on and I,m done, I've tried painting the podge and I can't get it to look like I want it. Just one of many ways, I've never tried the sharpie except around the eyes to touch up a tiny spot where I may have rubbed the paint off with a Q tip when final cleaning the eyes.

George likes this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    To each their own but, in my shop the only use for sharpie markers is to write on the tags at check in and on a rare occasion to replicate spots on a rainbow. I just cannot see this working to my expectations of what a deer's nose looks like. I would love to see a finished nose done with this method.

George, ctracker, woakley144 and 2 others like this.
  9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Sharpie "Black" actually has a bit of a purple hue to it...

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use a red one for turkeys and pheasant wattles.

11. Had a customer I fired over this, he said a deers nose is black. I said well brign you rkid over here and I will hand him a sharpie then the kid can do that. I know more about a damned deer nose than he would and if he wants it black then ok but deer noses are not black.

Now if you think sharpie will do it see ya felicia.

socalmountainman and woakley144 like this.
  12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Absolutely! I've tried using a Sharpie a couple of times to repair places around the eyes where I accidentally washed off the black umber when cleaning the eye...It don't blend in worth a damn, IMO.

woakley144 and FishArt like this.
  13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would think a paint pen would be better than a sharpie.

14. Jenna Everage had a post on FB about it. Amazing results!

KatieC likes this.
  15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    on what page Bruce? I must not be on that one or just missed it.

16. Taxidermy Tips and Techniques

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't think I'm part of that one.

18. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

20181009_112231.jpg i use this to touch up on deer heads it blends good. They have these at Hobby Lobby in many colors but i still wouldn't use them for a deer nose.

19. I use Jenna’s sharpie method quite often. It does depend on the nose pad though. If you have a deer with the right nose pad it’s quick and easy. All it takes is a red sharpie and a silver sharpie. Clean nose pad with mineral spirits. Get a plastic lid of some kind. Scribble red on it. Dip brush in mineral spirits and create a red wash. Tint the pad. Then do the same with the silver. Make your modpodge nodules. Mask off nose and spray wil rattle can gloss.

20. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Love to see that nose

GWebb likes this.