1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtann 2000 ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Leroy22, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

i just did a bobcat with krowtann 2000 then wondered what the shelf life is and found on the bottle it says better to use within 8 months, not sure the age of the stuff I used but im sure its around the 2 year mark. the hide looks good.
    Anyone have any ideas on this?
    could I go ahead and DP to be sure the hide is preserved without the DP and the chemicals in the Krowtann resulting in hair slippage?
    or should I retann with new krowtann?
    thanks

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i have had it for up to a year with no probplems. 2 years. cant help ya there. i keeped it in the fridge the whole time. i would buy a new bottle of it. dont take a chance. it aint worth it.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If the hide looks good and has a white tanned color to it, you should be fine. I definitely would not try to DP the hide now.

Steven Klee likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It will last for years. I think the basic ingredient is formic acid, which is very stable and doesn't lose it's acidity. Expiration dates are put on there for reasons of product liability. If you have a failure with a 2 year old bottle, their "warranty" via the expiration date protects the manufacturer. I don't use KT routinely, but have bottles of it that are 4-5 years old I wouldn't hesitate about using. BTW, shake well before using.

RTF likes this.
  5. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

Thanks yall I do feel better now, the hide does look fine,nice white, im gona mount it today.

6. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

Looking at this hide again it just doesn't look quite completely tanned in some areas.
    maybe I didn't shake the bottle up enouph. I usely leave the hide in for 4 days but the time only allowed for 3 days this time so may be the factor for that,not sure. I do remember not seeing much action in the bucket with the fresh hide.
    My question is can I put it back in a fresh batch of Krowtann? my concern is the bakeing soda and tide,could that have an issue?
    I would give it a few rinses again for sure.

Thanks

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thanks for the info joeym.

8. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

I can read, im saying the hide just doesn't look completely cured,can you understand what that means? if so the mount wount last.
    my question is can I put it back in the krowtann? just want to make sure

9. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Krowtan hides often have areas that are discolored from blood or meat left on the hide, or from areas thT were folded while in the solution that may not have been trated as well. If you thoroughly wash the hide in clean water, I don’t see why you couldn’t put it back in a fresh solution for a day or two then re-neutralize with baking soda and rinse. If any of it tanned it likely all tanned unless there were the aforementioned folds in the skin that didn’t get treated.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would wash it well in clear cool water and then go through the entire Krowtann proccess from start to finish.

11. I have never had any negative issues with the product.

12. dale65

dale65 Active Member

I have used it for years on Bobcats and never had any problems I left them in there for weeks and months at a time with know ill affects so if you don't have 3 days a week or so would be better in the long run

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I just opened a bottle last weekend and there was a bunch of what looked like black mold in the bottle. I was afraid to use it.

14. dale65

dale65 Active Member

I see the black your talking about sometime looks more like oil or something separated just shake it up good never had a problem with it

15. Most definately u can put it back in the tan. Make sure your ph is right when u put it back in