1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Storage Fee Charge

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by woakley144, Oct 13, 2018.

1. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Does anyone else charge a storage fee for mounts left over 30 days after you notify the client they are finished. My showroom is not big enough to store mounts for a year, and with season coming I don't have anywhere to hang this year's mounts....

I have some clients that have the money, but will not come in and pick up their mounts..... What is a reasonable fee for this and am I out of line to do this??? Thinking about 3%/month. after the first 30 days.....

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    10 bucks a week for the first 2 weeks it than goes to 10 bucks a day, unless arrangements are made. IE, payment plan

woakley144 likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can notify those customers that, after a specified amount of time after the second/third notice etc, the mount will be considered abandoned and sold. This has to be on a signed agreement that is done before the job is started. All you can do now is just hassle them to come in and get their mounts as nothing was covered in writing before you started. If the mounts are fully paid for, maybe offer to deliver them to get them out of your hair. If not, notification that they will be considered abandoned and disposed of may get them moving even though there was nothing in writing. You are legally allowed to sell abandoned mounts for the balance owed. Even though these clients have the money, they may also have had second thoughts and are just dragging their feet about the commitment.

woakley144 likes this.
  4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Wolf, I have had one mount in the 10 year I have been a taxidermist that the customer has "abandoned" I sent all the letters, and certified mail with TPWD information about becoming the property of the shop if they were not picked up or arrangements made. The client never responded & the cert letter was returned. So I have a bobcat mount that is now on display in the Walmart Sporting Good in our town!

Megan :) and msestak like this.
  5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Wish I was that lucky. I have at least 1/year it seems like.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Heck, I'm just happy to get the remaining balance when they show up. Expecting any more is nothing but a dream.

woakley144 likes this.
  7. $2.50 per day after the first 30 days. After 90 days it's considered abandoned.

8. tat

tat Member

$50.00 per month on shoulder mounts after 30 days & $100 per month on Life size mounts run it like a business do not allow them to dictate how & when they might pay you or you will be taken advantage of ( you are not a storage unit if so get paid for it )

woakley144 and 3bears like this.
  9. Check with a lawyer in your state. I wrote up a contract, that Livibucks uses on some of his printing of form. This is pretty air tight for Arkansas. I cannot say it will work in other states.

I have been to court twice on it and the storage fee is rock solid as per Arkansas law.. The judge read it and ask the client if they had read it.. They said Of Course. The Judge said will Mr C. is offering to settle this without the hassle, but you will loose is he wishes to proceed. I had three years of storage fees on the item.

The judge said the daily storage fee was brilliant, where as a percentage storage fee would be equated to exceed the max allowed interest.

Contact Greg and have him print you a 50 of the forms. If he wants to copyright the contract it is his decision.

rigbobby likes this.
  10. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Very wise advice.

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

We don't and contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. If you charge storage fees then they just won't pick it up, if you tell them you're going to sell it then they just won't pick it up.

12. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

What you say is true and you are correct, threatening to charge storage fees will not work to get most to pick up. However, if you have it written in the contract that after 90 days (or whatever length of time you choose) the mount becomes property of the shop to "Dispose of as you see fit," the the client will not win any court case should they try to come after you later.