1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Great Lakes Brown Trout Paint Schedule?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bill R., Oct 14, 2018.

1. Bill R.

Bill R. Member

I've hunted around the site but only came up with one post from 2009 but not with a schedule. I'm want to do a heavy 25" brown caught in the great lakes; have a couple decent pictures but I don't do many fish and so don't have a lot of experience in layering the paints and colors. Anyone know where I might get a paint schedule for a Great Lakes fish, which is very different from a nice stream brown. Thanks for the help.

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Yes indeed, that was a good one, but the photos got lost!!! He went into great detail over doing layers and layers of pearls and glimmers to build depth as I recall.

~S

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Can you post one of your pictures and we can tell you how we would paint it? I assume you're talking about summer fish caught out in the lake?

4. Bill R.

Bill R. Member

fullsizeoutput_1586.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1585.jpeg
    I went in to the post, which is great, but yes, the pictures don't seem to be available. OK, lets see if I can post a picture of this fish. Caught second week of May. And thanks for the responses guys.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Take this for what you will as I have never painted a brown trout but this is how I would approach it. Skin mount or replica. Depending on the base color I would use white, white pearl, gold pearl, silver pearl and then start adding detail and colors rich brown, tie in brown, yellow ochre, paynes gray, flesh. Then some scale tipping with some golds and maybe some silvers thrown in here and there.

Cecil likes this.
  6. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Mikenzie sells a set of DVDs Painting a Brown Trout by Mike Orthober that should meet your needs. The VHS version covered a Great Lakes fish but what I see of the current catalog doesn't look like a GL version. Might be worth a call to them to inquire. The VHS version was very good IMHO.............jerry

Cecil likes this.
  7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've caught and seen a few GL brown trout and the ones' I've seen were a lot more silver than the picture you posted.

Cecil likes this.
  8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

If you open FireFox or Chrome browsers and then do a search for "Photobucket Fix". Down load the fix and then go to the post mentioned above. The picture will load!

Cecil and socalmountainman like this.
  9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Jean,

Looks like it was still in the summer but getting close to fall? I say that because it looks like it was getting a kype.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Here's how I would do it, and even though I have done a fair amount from the Great Lakes I don't assume my way is the best.

Lifetone Paint:
    1. Chrome Pearlescent - Use on the side of artifical head as a base coat. Also on belly and side flanks of fish where you will paint the next color (Off White). This assures you won't have to use as much of the Off White. The less white you use the more natural your skin mount will be. A trick I learned from John Peel, Lake George, Indiana.
    1.Off White - belly to throat and bottom of head. Also inside of cast head and behind the maxillary bone.
    2.Dark Brown - mixed 50/50 with Rich Brown for top of head to blend head to dorsal surface of fish. Also lightly on the cheek, gill cover, and jaw line. (See reference). Also fins to some degree.
    3. Iridescent Gold - lower flanks.
    4. Followed by Yellow Ochre.
    5. Off White for spot pattern larger than original brown spots. No white shadowing spots above lateral line.
    6. Seal fish otherwise your white shadowing will blend with your next color.
    7. Dark Brown for spots over white. Should see some white on outside edges of brown. Also top of head and side of head. Go in close to make them sharp edged. Notice the head spots are rounded while body spots are not.
    8. Gold scale tipping. Your choice. Above lateral line. Make sure they are not too big.
    9. Off White for overspray around ventral fins and forward ventral edge of ventral fins and lower caudal fin. Very mute though. Sometimes you will see this also on part of the top of the dorsal fin of a brown trout.
    10. Blue. Spray lightly on head area (gill cover) seen in reference.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

BTW it's obvious this is a male due to the kype, but how many of you know how to tell a male brown from a female brown by the shape of the anal fin? You can tell them apart by the shape of the anal fin once they get about 4 inches in length!

12. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Guys, I just tried pulling it up straight from Google search on my Chromebook, and ALL the pix are there!!!

~S

Cecil likes this.
  13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

link?

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

15. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

test DSCN2180.jpg

Cecil likes this.
  16. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

If you can't get the photos with the article, here they are in order; DSCN1878.jpg DSCN2108.jpg

Attached Files:

Cecil, Bill R. and JL like this.
  17. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Continued; DSCN2177.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

continued; DSCN2219.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

and finally;
    DSCN2241.jpg

Attached Files:

hambone, Bill R. and JL like this.
  20. Bill R.

Bill R. Member

Wow, fantastic job at getting those photos posted. Thanks so much....

Cecil likes this.