1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tail on coyote

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Iowadeerhunter, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Iowadeerhunter

Iowadeerhunter New Member

I was not sure exactly where to post this but I have a tail from a coyote i shot (1st one) and was wondering how to preserve it. What is going to be the easiest way? Skin it out and borax it is what I was thinking. I would probably use the preserve injection but I do not have any.

2. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Ya hit the nail on the head. Skin it out and rub borax on the flesh side, let it dry out. It'll be rock hard when it is fully preserved. Good luck to you.

3. Iowadeerhunter

Iowadeerhunter New Member

Having trouble skinning it out. I can only get it so far and just ca not go any further. Any tips? Is there such a thing as a tail stripper?

4. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Yes there is a tail stripper. How far have you got it? Is the tail chopped off the yote?

Cut or slit the tail skin all the way down from base to tip on the under side. Use a sharp knife to skin it just like the rest of the body. I like to hang them with a hook and chain gambrel when doing this. Most often for fox size and larger you can just lay them out on a table when skinning them. When you are done skinning it out, cut or scrape away any fat and meat still left on the skin but take your time because it is allmost feels like it's glued to the skin.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

put base of tail in vise - get two dowels or something else round - squeeze and pull and the bone will come out slicker than snot