1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help! Damage To Deer Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jessica0621!, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Jessica0621!

Jessica0621! New Member

I apologize if I’m posting this in the wrong place. My husband is devastated! Our dog somehow climbed on top of furniture and licked a bald spot on my husband’s deer mount (weird, I know). Is there any hope of repairing this? He is heartbroken. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A picture will get you more replies. I will tell you that I have seen pics of incredible repairs just short of miraculous, by people on here. I've even surprised myself a time or two with what seemed like impossible repairs. Get a picture on here and I bet someone here would know how to fix it.

3. Jessica0621!

Jessica0621! New Member

Thanks! I just edited my original post with pictures.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That one is a relatively easy one to pull off.

Take the form down and CAREFULLY lift the forward hairs and with masking tape, tape them up out of the way without bending them (they'll snap off if you do). Paint the bare spot with clear silicone caulk.

From the back side of the backboard, grasp a small tuft of hair and snip it off. Carefully lay a row of these snippets along the back edge of the bare spot so as the multicolored ends overlap the original hair. Make sure the snipped ends imbed themselves in some of the glue. Do a single row at a time.

Continue making rows overlapping the replaced row getting the hairs as close to the damaged edges as you can. When you get the final row (the one up under the hair you have taped up). take a tissue stretched between your hands and GENTLY "comb" the hairs to insure that they are following the contour of the originals. Do not use excess pressure on the tissue. Now fold the taped up hair back down over your repairs. Spritz the area including the bent hairs with Windex and then lay a paper towel over the entire repairs. Carefully pin the towel into the manikin so that it can stay there until the silicone cures. Do not rush this job. When done right you'll never be able to tell where the repair took place.

NOTE: Use only the hairs off the original mount. Substituting hair often has enough disparity in coloration to show up.

5. Jessica0621!

Jessica0621! New Member

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

What color is your dog??? ;)

Jessica0621! likes this.
  7. Jessica0621!

Jessica0621! New Member

Haha!

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Great advice George!

Jessica0621! likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I do something like this, I find using tweezers can be useful when laying down the loose hairs.

Jessica0621! and George like this.
  10. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Hilarious, Marty!

FishArt likes this.