1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Claw Pads - Middle Finger Giving Me A Problem!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Roddy, Oct 19, 2018.

1. I am looking for clarification and advice on final shaving bear feet, primarily toes/claws prior to tanning and after the pickle.

I have read some threads where some folks flesh to claw, scissor cut the jelly toe pads out and call it good? Seems insufficient.

I am so used to deer hides which are way easier. I keep shaving thinking, "oh that needs to be thinnner or removed," then I cut into hair follicles.

I am pretty sure that the greasy pad jelly below the claws needs completely out. So I shave that sucker out to about 98% clean. And hope the degreasing will take care of the rest.

I am wondering if all bear feet look a little rough after tanning, unlike a beautiful thick deer cape.

Do guys throw a blind eye at this, pack it with clay and hope for the best? Rot and smell is my concern but I think I may me taking too much harmless stuff off and compromising hair retention.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Below is a picture of me shaving out the toe pad. That jelly doesn't look like it should be in there on a finished mount.

I also wonder how should he bone at the end of the claw look like before mounting, perfectly clean like teeth or ok to have some tissue on it like in picture.

Thanks
    IMG_0122.JPG

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

All the fat of the pads need to come out/off. The bone at the claw should look like a perfectly clean bone at the joint with a claw attached to it. I don't like ANYTHING left on the skin, pads, or bones.