1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help, New To Tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rileyb10, Oct 24, 2018.

1. TPT66

TPT66 New Member

Two questions regarding salinity and neutralizing:
    1. Most of us all use litmus paper and monitor pH regularly. In your opinion, should we ALSO use a salinometer? I've never monitored the salinity of my pickles or tans, so I'm not aware of how/if it changes throughout the process.

2. I can certainly understand "over-neutralizing" in terms of the ammount of time one takes....but what pH level should we be shooting for in most cases?
    I've always considered a pH of 7 to be neutral. However, many of the posts here mention tanning solutions being in the 4-5 range. Would a pH over 5 also be considered over-neutralized?
    Mike

2. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I currently use tanzall and I like the results. However I did not care for the acid they sell. I let the hide dry rock hard after tanning for "water displacement" then rehydrate and it seems to really help.

3. I didn't read all of the replies so I may be repeating some info. Your slippage could be a result of improper field care or improper handling in your shop; although I doubt the later. I personally tan all of my hides and furs to be mounted and I send out everything to be soft tanned. I haven't ventured into trying too many different tanning methods because the initial process and chemicals I learned and use have always worked well. I use Oxalic Acid for my pickle primarily because it maintains a pH of 1 for long periods of time if needed. I do keep citric acid on-hand as well just to use in a pinch in case I run out or forget to order oxalic acid, but it seems I can only reach and maintain a pH of 2 and I have to frequently add chemical to maintain the pH level.

As for tanning I have always used Lutan-F. Not saying that other products are not as good its just what I have always used and it produces great results. Plus I have seen 25-30 year old mounts tanned with Lutan-F and they look as if they were recently mounted. As for oil I use Knoblochs.

I tried Krowtan about 10 years ago and was unsure of it so I went back to Lutan. I spoke to the customer about the Krowtanned shoulder mount last spring and he said it still looked great so recently I have been using Krowtan again with good results. It is fast and easy and I have never had any issues with slippage or anything. Best of luck.