1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alligator Head Smell

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Seawulff, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Seawulff

Seawulff New Member

I have recently purchased an alligator head and it has a strange potent smell. Is there something i can do to get the smell out of it. A soak, another coat of sealer maybe. Not sure if the smell is a bad job on the head or the chemicals used in the process. Any ideas?

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Submerge it is denatured alcohol for a month, and maybe it'll get the smell out. Gift shops here sell them that have been treated that way, and they use floral marbles as eyes...really crappy work. The smell on your head is probably coming from material in the nostrils and under the upper palette. They do not remove the upper palette, and there is a ton of meat and cartilage under it. While you have it hydrated, order some decent eyes and replace the marbles, if that's what was used.

3. Seawulff

Seawulff New Member

T
    That is exactly what I bought. So put it in a bucket of denatured alcohol for a month. Does that cure the flesh left in it?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It will preserve it better at least and kill off any lurking bacteria. You didn't say what sort of prep it was, if any. Is this something from a shop? Skin on with those marble eyes? It sort of sounds like it is. Is the smell an odor of decay or is it a chemical smell. It is possible that this was soaked in formaldehyde and that will take a while to fade. A lot of these are imported and there aren't many that are done well.

5. He said strange potent smell.

Im guess Formaldehyde , as well. If so if will dissipate over time.