1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetle Setup Help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by timhunter, Oct 30, 2018.

1. timhunter

timhunter New Member

I am setting up a small chest freezer for beetles was told to use small ceramic heater.. Do you recommend a reptile heater or forced air heater. I was wondering about the bugs getting into the forced air heater

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If the bugs can get to the fixture, use one of those ceramic reptile heaters. Be careful not to get a high wattage one as they focus the heat in a beam and you will have a bad hot spot if you don't have adequate air circulation. Others have used the small fan heaters and those have been secured in such a way that the bugs can't get to it.

3. timhunter

timhunter New Member

ok thanks. It does have a step in the freezer where the compressor goes under.

4. I’ve been using the red heat lamps. In my small colony. And it works great. In my big tank I have 2 red lamps and 1 ceramic. It is big so no issues with ceramic

5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I to have my bug tank in an old freezer, what I did was use a basket that was in the freezer to put my ceramic heater in. I can keep them at a temp that varies from 70-80 degrees that way. The best temp that I have found for them is about 75. I have a thriving colony right now just waiting to go to work. I keep them fed with meat I take off the necks and the full body animals that I have caped out.
    Doing it this way I have a steady supply of food for the bugs..

timhunter likes this.
  6. I use reptile heat lamps you can get at any pet store. They work perfect